Primary Navigation Bar experiment

Guest Flaw

Brayden and me, are of the opinion that the primary navigation bar sucks... and we're trying to come up with something more beautiful.

I've come up with this.... let's experiment more with it.

I took the colour and the image off the the filter bar at the bottom (the one that has Top active topics or whatever). Reduced the height as well.

Previously

ijE9pg.png

After changes

ijEBxo.png

I'm still working on it. Will keep you posted.

ipb_styles.css, line 35

#primary_nav {

background: #346194 url(http://jrnetwork.net/forum/public/style_images/JR/gradient_bg.png) repeat-x 50%;

font-size: 0.95em;

padding-left: 10px;

height: 31px;

}

I also suggest making the banner background just a bit darker, but that's a different topic.

Yes, plus a better and more professional looking gradient. It is sleeker too!

I still can't get around to doing something with the red box which comes on the currently active page.

I think the colour should be a little bit darker than this, but let's hear the staff.

Okay, here I am with a newer version... scrap the one in OP.

ilVuzY.png

I certainly enjoy it a zillion times more than the one right now, and following are the changes.. I can't test them on Members and Calendars and every other link, since on a page load, Chrome will loose the changed CSS properties. Sorry about the search icon, messed that up :P (but it's not included in the codes below)

ipb_styles.css

line 36

#primary_nav ul li, #primary_nav ul li a {

color: #fff;

text-decoration: none;
line 39

#primary_nav ul li.active {

background: transparent url(http://jrnetwork.net/forum/public/style_images/JR/tab_left.png) no-repeat top left; (remove this)

font-size: 1.05em;

font-weight: bold;

padding: 0;

margin: -4px 0px auto 5px;

position: relative;

}
line 40

#primary_nav ul li.active a {

background: #A52A2A url(http://jrnetwork.net/forum/public/style_images/JR/gradient_bg.png) repeat-x 50%;

padding: 8px 15px 7px 15px;

margin-left: 6px;

display: block;

margin-top: 4px;

}
line 42

#primary_nav ul li a {

color: #fff;

text-decoration: none;

}

Guest Thomas Bates III

If you're going to have the "bubble" effect (where the button comes off the bar slightly w/ curved edges), keep the bottom bar, it isn't as ugly as the current blue-all background.

The one with only the button "highlighted" is quite a bit better, however, as I've said before red+blue is both ugly and cliche.

Right? I think so too. It's way better.

I will look to keep the text of the inactive buttons a bit grey, so the one active (and in pure white text color) stands out.

Guest brayden

You realise with what you did, the search bar got stuffed up in that image? Shows the image twice. Can't implement it with the search bar looking like dirt.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'd rather we just went with something completely new.

Brayden, why do you skip words?! :P

I mentioned about me messing the search image and also mentioning that the change is NOT included in the code given thereafter.

Guest brayden

I skip words because reading every individual post when you've had 3 hours sleep and there are posts made every minute it makes for a bad headache if you keep reading them over and over. I'd rather keep what little remains of my sanity at the moment, rather than losing it from reading too many posts.

Right now this theme is killing me.

Guest brayden

I like that a bit, better than the old certainly. Just finding that a bit hard to merge with the theme. Maybe if we start messing with the colours more and go with some sort of black/grey/silver/darkblue theme it'd work out great! Also what happened to you not liking Firefox and being some Chrome lover? :P

Guest brayden

I seem to remember a time before where you were saying something about Chrome being good or whatever, some insanity that I must've forgotten long ago. Either way that was probably when Chrome 4 was out. Also I did append blue to that as an option for the mixture of colours. I just don't think it works great with red and red was fairly new addition to the "JR Network Palette of colours."