Peter

Differentiating Senior Members From The New

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should this suggestion be implemented?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which idea do you prefer?

• Idea #1
    • Idea #2
    • Idea #3

But that might repel people completly!

Repel them from what? Buying Gold? If these perms are only available to Gold Members, I doubt not having the perms earlier for free will repel them from buying Gold...

Furthermore, these ranks are not things that should carry a lot of perms in my mind. These ranks should really just be titles, because as the topic title says: Differentiating Senior Members from the New, that is all we are attempting to do.

If we start handing out extra perms to these ranks that just show how long you've been on the server, that is what will repel them, as you put it, from purchasing Gold Membership and helping out the server.

I mean that if the noobs have no permissions, they might not like it, and they will leave!

I understand your point a bit better now, however Citizens don't have many permissions as it is. That's why I'm suggesting that we don't meddle with the permissions structure at all for these loyalty ranks; there shouldn't be any gain in permissions just because you've been a member of JR for a given period of time.

EDIT: Maybe it would be more prudent to ask, what permissions would they not have (that Citizens have now), that you believe would make them leave JR?

Also, apologies to you and anyone that took my last post as being a bit rude; I didn't intend for it to be and I just had it pointed out that it sounded a bit harsh.

I mean that if the noobs have no permissions, they might not like it, and they will leave!

New people can't expect that much. They get build rights and they can use worldguard, do they think they will get worldedit and admin commands just like that? NO.

Well I agree we should give citiizens more perms, we shouldn't give them things from gold, we should introduce new things, as the things gold has is what attracts people to get it, which funds us.

And I'm not saying give rookies etc no perms but they should have the same, as I was lead to believe when I read this that these ranks were so we could tell who's been on jr for a while.

Well I agree we should give citiizens more perms, we shouldn't give them things from gold, we should introduce new things, as the things gold has is what attracts people to get it, which funds us.

And I'm not saying give rookies etc no perms but they should have the same, as I was lead to believe when I read this that these ranks were so we could tell who's been on jr for a while.

Maybe it'd be better to do the opposite; except for things like Clans that are major selling points, give all of the toys (ie Mob Disguise, Block Hat, etc.) to these new ranks and give the new toys to Gold. We've had a lack as I understand it in Gold Subscriptions. Perhaps new things to play with will encourage people to purchase Gold?

I know no one is going to listen to this idea but maybe if we have Veteran Gold members or Veteran Residents that is based on how long you been on the server how many post you have posted ,etc.... I dont know just an idea.

So your idea is:

Citizen -> Veteran Citizen

Gold -> Veteran Gold

I actually like this idea a lot better. Its nice and simple and we don't have to think of different user group names which are consistent with each other.

Maybe we could give the veteran Citizen the world guard flags for welcome and farewell as that is an added bonus and everyone wants a welcome and good bye message in their region to alert people when they are entering a region

So your idea is:

Gold -> Veteran Gold

I actually like this idea a lot better. Its nice and simple and we don't have to think of different user group names which are consistent with each other.

Ya i just though that we dont have to go over board with everything and just make 2 new ranks for gold and citizens

So your idea is:

Gold -> Veteran Gold

That sounds a lot cleaner! I agree, good idea, Philly! (And there is a rule: if you post it, the trolls replies will come!)

Maybe we could give the veteran Citizen the world guard flags for welcome and farewell as that is an added bonus and everyone wants a welcome and good bye message in their region to alert people when they are entering a region

Citizens (like regular Citizens that have just registered) can already do this. I did it for my castle before I started building the thing, and I started on that before I purchased Gold.

Well I think a Rookie should last for around: 1 week, Resident: 1 month and Citizen: 2 Months.

What do you reckon? Remember this will be forum based so it will effect the forum. But yes this can be done :D

Great idea!

Instead of 1 week or 1 month, could in game time be used?

M3pc55' timestamp=1338971423' post='71612] Instead of 1 week or 1 month, could in game time be used?

Using in game time? That would make it a bit harder, but it actually proves something.

What does everyone else think?

On second thoughts, no, it's not a fair way. Is JR just a Minecraft server or more? I would revert my opinion and go back to forum post count. Sorry, but we also have other games, even if Minecraft dominates. This would be grossly unfair to a TF2 player who doesn't like and won't play Minecraft.

The ranks that we make must be global and not MC specific.

Here's my problem with the idea: The fact that simply spending time on JR doesn't make you a veteran. You could be a complete social recluse on here, talk to no-one ever, and you'll still end up with a veteran rank under this system.

A nice system that I've seen in place over at the Hatventures server relies on voting. It would probably require some tweaking to work here. Essentially, new players start as BlackHats. After registration, they become GreyHats, with most normal permissions. To become WhiteHats, players must fulfill the following requirements:

• Must receive social points (votes) from minimum of 4 existing WhiteHats+
  • Must gain a minimum of 4 quest completion points
  • Must collect a minimum of 12 of these points in total

I know, we don't have quests in place yet. But they can be as simple as complete the basic tutorial, talk to some NPCs in Minecraft, play a game of TF2, etc... We can use that to entice people to at least try their hand at the other areas of JR then too.

Antony' timestamp=1338974758' post='71625] know, we don't have quests in place yet

If you want me to I can write some tutorial quests or something like that, just tell me what you want the quest to entail and I will write the script.

If you want me to I can write some tutorial quests or something like that, just tell me what you want the quest to entail and I will write the script.

A tutorial quest in Minecraft would be a perfect example of how a user could gain a point. However, we can't be too heavy on the Minecraft side of things.

I reckon we ought to have 4 simple tasks like:

• Add your Minecraft username to your JR profile
  • Update your status message on JR
  • Make 10 forum posts on the JR forum
  • Login to any JR game server

Then, four more complex tasks:

• Complete the tutorial quest on the Minecraft server
  • Be on the winning team in a game of Team Fortress 2
  • Win in a game of CS: Source
  • Make a blog post on JR

This would give people a choice after completing the four simple tasks: whether to complete the harder tasks, or collect social votes from others.