k2trf

Two Problems With Nicknamer

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which solutions do you think should be implemented? (Pick as many as you'd like)

• Solution 1
    • Solution 2
    • Solution 3

Don't take this the wrong way - I like the idea a lot, but there are two issues I have with it, and the second one is inexcusable.

[1] It is very confusing, to the point where I couldn't even remember who was who anymore and I gave up and just set my name back to my IGN rather than my actual name. It's really confusing when trying to tp to someone, since you can't tp to their nickname. Also, if the log block starts recording with nicknames instead, that could be a bigger issue.

[2] I think I need no explanation on this one, just this picture.

post-9146-0-24312900-1340605642_thumb.pn

EDIT: Dylan was not the only one doing this - he just happened to be the one I took the screen from.

EDIT: Possible Solutions:

So as we have discussed three solutions have been suggested:

1. Bringing the /whois command back with the IP display removed.

2. Limiting the command to staff only where Gold must request their nickname change.

3. Disallow the use of brackets.

k2trf' timestamp=1340605647' post='75309] [1] It is very confusing, to the point where I couldn't even remember who was who anymore and I gave up and just set my name back to my IGN rather than my actual name. It's really confusing when trying to tp to someone, since you can't tp to their nickname. Also, if the log block starts recording with nicknames instead, that could be a bigger issue.

Does the /whois command not work or exist?

Not anymore @Peter, it was removed (at least to non-staff as far as I'm aware) because it showed people's IP address. And not everyone thinks to run Minecraft, Skype, etc. through a program such as Tor.

Oh I see, but I wonder if @Jamie or @Antony is able to bring it back with a more customized version of /whois where the IP is not shown because its a useful command to have considering players tend to change their names often to the point where it is confusing like you have said.

As for your second point, most people don't even know what Tor is to begin with. I have briefly used it before and heard about all the intriguing things that can be accessed with it, but do you mind teaching me running Skype through Tor preferable over Skype please? :D

Oh I see, but I wonder if @Jamie or @Antony is able to bring it back with a more customized version of /whois where the IP is not shown because its a useful command to have considering players tend to change their names often to the point where it is confusing like you have said.

Oh, absolutely. That would be very nice indeed. The other nice thing about it is that certain people (hint: me) can use it to find where Jamie is after he's gone to sleep but stayed afk, so I can encase him in ice :3

As for your second point, most people don't even know what Tor is to begin with. I have briefly used it before and heard about all the intriguing things that can be accessed with it, but do you mind teaching me running Skype through Tor preferable over Skype please? :D

Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid so I use it with anything that can be routed through it :P I wouldn't mind at all - just hit me up sometime when I'm on and you are free. If I'm busy, I'll either be invisible or not on at all. If you're running a mac, it may be a bit trickier, as I've only used it on Windows before. But either way it's very easy to use once you've got it installed and running.

For those reading this that don't know what it does, it hides who you are when you surf the Internet.

When you go anywhere, you use an IP or Internet Protocol address (think of it like a Driver's License number) to tell other computers who you are (necessary so that information is given to the right person that requested it). The problem with this is that anyone that can see your IP address can also try to break their way into your network, and your computer.

There exists Anonymity programs, such as Tor that allow you to connect through a god awful amount of so many other people that by the time that the data is handed from the server down to you through these other clients, it's literally untraceable.

Tor-onion-network.png

That's a rather quick, simple version of a summary. If you're like me, you'd rather read a wiki page. Here you go. Hope this helped :)

But I digress, this has literally almost nothing to do with the OP. @Jamie needs to be aware of these issues, especially as I don't think there is a fix for the second one, other than to remove colors from nicks, which would make some people (@IgbarX) undeniably sad. I guess it'd be better than removing the nicknames altogether though.

I saw it too, but if you do whois as admin you can see who they are ...plus if you know they changed their name you just use the IGN and it ...you will go. As far as log block it wont affect it log block knows the IGN We can keep an eye out ...and make the "wannabees" not do that. Dylana5 wants helper so bad. :P maybe there can be some restrictions used to stop the misuse.

Giving open nicknaming to just gold+ is causing enough problems lol... won't be giving it to citizens too byron, sorry XD

I believe we should just give the nick name COMMAND to staff, and then any gold+ can request to have their name changed, and a staff member can change it.

That way, every name will have to be approved by that staff member, preventing impersonating/abuse of nicknames.

I like the feature, so completely removing it is bad, but moderation is definitely needed.

Don't take this the wrong way - I like the idea a lot, but there are two issues I have with it, and the second one is inexcusable.

[1] It is very confusing, to the point where I couldn't even remember who was who anymore and I gave up and just set my name back to my IGN rather than my actual name. It's really confusing when trying to tp to someone, since you can't tp to their nickname. Also, if the log block starts recording with nicknames instead, that could be a bigger issue.

[2] I think I need no explanation on this one, just this picture.

post-9146-0-24312900-1340605642_thumb.pn

EDIT: Dylan was not the only one doing this - he just happened to be the one I took the screen from.

I do apologize for this. Will not happen again, I feel that nicknames should be removed though. They are too chaotic.

I agree with K2, I like the nicknames, but in the foreseeable future I can see it causing one problem after another, the worst thing I can think of is some immature gold member looking for a time when no staff are on and changing his name to look like Jamies nickname, full with color and the {O}. All he has to do is log out and log back in and could literally make people do stuff for him because he's "Jamie." as you can see this could be one of many problems.

The nick name are nice though, and I don't know if we should entirely get rid of them, but limit them to just Jamie, and if he ever decide that a certain person has to have a nickname he can give them it. Or he can "black spot" known trollers so that people can know who not to pay attention to.

I really like @JxAce's idea; with just a bit of moderation it could still be nice. After all, if you just want to change your name there isn't any issue with it.

And instead of removing the support for colors, could we not just make the { and } characters illegal for use in nicknames?

@Dylanaj5, thanks for the apology, but as I said in the OP, you weren't by any means the only one doing this - you just happened to be the one I took a screenshot from. :)

JxAce' timestamp=1340627245' post='75327] I believe we should just give the nick name COMMAND to staff, and then any gold+ can request to have their name changed, and a staff member can change it.

I agree, but it may become a slight annoyance having various Gold members requesting a nickname change even if it is stated that staff will only change a nickname every x amount of days or whatever.

So as we have discussed two solutions have been suggested:

1. Bringing the /whois command back with the IP display removed.

Peter' timestamp=1340608232' post='75316] Oh I see, but I wonder if @Jamie or @Antony is able to bring it back with a more customized version of /whois where the IP is not shown because its a useful command to have considering players tend to change their names often to the point where it is confusing like you have said.

2. Limiting the command to staff only where Gold must request their nickname change.

JxAce' timestamp=1340627245' post='75327] I believe we should just give the nick name COMMAND to staff, and then any gold+ can request to have their name changed, and a staff member can change it.

3. Disallow the use of brackets.

k2trf' timestamp=1340643234' post='75355] And instead of removing the support for colors, could we not just make the { and } characters illegal for use in nicknames?

I think these ideas would work nicely together.

k2trf' timestamp=1340643234' post='75355] And instead of removing the support for colors, could we not just make the { and } characters illegal for use in nicknames?

And that, Peter. I think if we just make all the bracket characters illegal for use in nicks, then that issue would disappear.

Meaning: { [ ( ) ] } but mostly { and } are the problems.

Even with Brackets, people can still impersonate others of the same rank.

I believe my suggestion would work the best (I'm so modest, I know >:]) because the first one would require someone to change the plugin slightly, and even then, most citizens disregard any commands they don't use every 2 seconds (basically saying, people won't use it).

The third one prevents cross-rank impersonation, but still doesn't prevent gold impersonating other gold members, or citizens (or god forbid, staff copying other members of the same rank).

I don't believe everyone should have the /whois command even with IP removed, still gives other data that could be used to cheat. Such as location and world (stalking made easy :D) which basically circumvents teleport toggles, which only staff can bypass right now (as it should be).

what is two problems is... :info:

Please read the topic before you post.

JxAce' timestamp=1340659665' post='75380] Even with Brackets, people can still impersonate others of the same rank.

Ah I understand the problem with the brackets now ...

JxAce' timestamp=1340659665' post='75380] I believe my suggestion would work the best (I'm so modest, I know >:]) because the first one would require someone to change the plugin slightly, and even then, most citizens disregard any commands they don't use every 2 seconds (basically saying, people won't use it).

I don't believe everyone should have the /whois command even with IP removed, still gives other data that could be used to cheat. Such as location and world (stalking made easy :D) which basically circumvents teleport toggles, which only staff can bypass right now (as it should be).

The /whois command would still be a nice addition though. We could remake the /whois command so it only does one thing; i.e. display the original name of the given player which I don't think would be too much of a hassle considering there is only one functionality to it.

And of course we don't have to really pick between one or the other because I am still thinking that these three ideas work perfectly together.

@k2trf added to the list, but what's the problem with having brackets?

If you are gold and can use colors, you could just do /nick &5{H} k2trf and presto show up in chat as me. Or anyone else, such as /nick &4{O} Jamie (bet whoever tried that would get banned :P).

If people can't use the brackets, then they can't imitate ranks. I think all three should be implemented, but only staff need the /whois command if its brought back.

EDIT: I've copied the solutions we've come up with so far into the OP for people who haven't read this yet, and I've added a multiple choice poll so people can vote for one of them, two of them, all of them, etc. (Way too early for that, thanks to whoever took it down) I also changed the topic title.

It would be nice to let everyone use the /Whois command as sometimes it's important to send a tell to someone and you can't see what their Minecraft name is.

That's something we hadn't thought of. If people use random nicknames and we don't know who they are, then tping, pming, etc. becomes very difficult.

I think what we should do instead of /whois do /name [Nickname] so that way we find out there name and it can be done easily

That could be better as it would be easier to remember. I think it would be easy to fix the coding to just by replacing the /Whois with /name.

That could be better as it would be easier to remember. I think it would be easy to fix the coding to just by replacing the /Whois with /name.

Problem with that they would have to delete coding to do with /whois to get only the name and would stop the admins from using it effectively and adding /name is copying some coding from /whois for the name and adding in the new command