JRCraft Writing Contest

JRcraft writing contest  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this idea should be added to JRcraft?

• Yes
    • No

JR CRAFT WRITING CONTEST

Hosted by commanderAIK

Brief intro:

The JR Craft writing contest is a contest for players who write books. It's a unique idea that I came up with. I never thought it would travel this far!

What to do when in the competition:

You are to write a book using a book and quill (you may do so in the creative world). Your book can either be non fiction, a biography, realistic fiction, or a fact book. Here's the catch: ALL of them must be about JR, whether it's a story about you on the server, a made-up story about a player on the server, or you can just write about what's so great about JR.

Judges of the competition:

1. @
  2. @
  3. @ (Samac3)
  4. Me (commanderAIK) (Alex)

What judges should be looking for:

1. Correct grammer/spelling
  2. Full following of the rules.
  3. A unique style of writing
  4. A good vocabulary, i.e using "well" instead of "good" in some cases.
  5. Originality, make sure there is no copying of the sort.

Judge app:

If you would like to be a judge, post a comment answering these questions in this format before the starting day of the competition:

1. What is your MC IGN?:
  2. Do you have any experience with writing?
  3. What is your rank on JR?
  4. Why do you want to be a judge for this competition? (Don't post just a sentence for this. This answer should be the longest of the four)

NOTE: Denied applications will be ignored.

Judge resignation:

If you do not want to be a judge for this contest, just PM me and I will remove you from the judging list.

How long this will go on for:

The competition will be from August 25-September 25.

How to enter:

Simply post a comment asking to enter and you are in.

Entries so far:

@

@

@Ignore26

@

Prizes:

1st place: 3(+) diamond blocks and HUGE library dedicated to you

2nd place: 3(+) gold blocks and a mention on the library.

3rd place: 3(+) iron blocks

NOTE: Prizes may be subject to change.

Good luck everyone! You have three days to apply for judge and think about what to write!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In game cash is always a good prize, but if you want the prize to be more original maybe they could win a house or property built especially for the contest. This possibly could be built in creative a

Well I'm fine with whether or not you use build the library or not, but if you can't find a plugin for it then we could use chests instead because I'm sure a single chest would be able to store more t

I don't think that would be necessary. You could lock it during judging to avoid pointless posts, but a whole new topic won't really be needed.

This sounds like an amazing idea - the book & quills are not very hard to make either, so to enter would be easy!

I would definitely enter this; it would be just like a writing contest on the forums, except in-game, which is where most of our members stay!

Do you have a prize in mind for this, @?

EDIT: They did change the recipe for a book, for anyone that isn't already aware of this.

It is now one leather (bottom left) and three paper (around the leather, in the middle left, middle middle, and bottom middle). The book & quill then requires an ink sack, a book, and a feather and is shapeless.

I like the idea and like everyone else, I voted yes :) Is there a minimum that we are expecting from participants? For example a minimum or maximum of 3 pages to be able to enter?

Also have you talked to Jamie about having the prizes as the memberships?

Ok, then I'll probably make the prizes gold membership, if the financial problem stands, then I'll try to make the prize citizen +, which doesn't cost real money. Also @warhawk2002 if I did have to do that, I would need to add more to the prize. Members can already get up to 1000 in game cash a day by voting. It's gotta be something more interesting.

On the topic of themes for these entries, your OP just says that the book has to be about JR.

They would write about why JR is great, their favorite parts of JR, and other JR subjects.

Is this the only qualifier; the book has to be about JR? Also, I'm assuming it would have to be nonfiction, since the theme is JR.

@k2trf and The book doesn't have to be nonfiction. It can be a fact book about why JR is great. But if it is a story about a player on JR, then it must be nonfiction. Also @Peter I was thinking that each book should be a minimum of 5 pages, just so it's not too short.

Another thing, @Jamie would I be able to make the first place winner receive a gold membership?

@ - I guess you won't be able to hold the competition until Jamie allows gold membership as a prize correct? Maybe you could think of a compromise in the mean time. If Jamie does allow gold membership as a prize then contact me when the competition has ended so I can allocate it to the correct member :)

In game cash is always a good prize, but if you want the prize to be more original maybe they could win a house or property built especially for the contest. This possibly could be built in creative and transferred (so it doesn't take too long to build).

North_Oceana' timestamp=1345397777' post='82603] Maybe the winner's writing could even be printed into a book in the server and the books could be duplicated and distributed to all players...

Do you know if this is possible? We have a suggestion that requires duplication and mass distribution, but I'm not sure if its possible.

Maybe as a first prize, we could have a library built in dedication to the winner? :o

Side note - Bookshelves can now store books right?

North_Oceana' timestamp=1345397777' post='82603] Maybe the winner's writing could even be printed into a book in the server and the books could be duplicated and distributed to all players...

Nice idea, the duplicating thing is a matter of how we do that, and I was thinking maybe the winning book could be duplicated and sold to JR members. The winner would of course get some of the in game cash that is made.

JRLogo5.png Peter' timestamp=1345408927' post='82610] Bookshelves can now store books right?

I'm not positively sure. I'll get back to you on that tomorrow :)