commanderAIK

What is your favorite book?

Hey guys,

So, while walking away from the gaming concept a bit here, I wanted to know what really good books you guys read on JR. Please post the title and the name of the author, a review, and a rating (0-5 stars) and any other additional description you want.

Type it like this: My favorite book is

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Written during the great depression, a family goes through tough decisions. The children are convinced that a monster lives next door to their house. The father must be the lawyer of a trial, and courage is expressed many ways in their life.

4 stars.

Thanks,

Alex

NOTE: Idea helped from Flawless:

If you could write a small review, give it a rating, and say why you like it, the topic would be a lot better :)

Hmm... well I cannot single out one of this guy's books because I have enjoyed them all way too much... There series is called Sigma Force Series and is written by James Rollins. The first one I read was subterranean. Great book as are all of them. 5 Stars.

Vince Flynn is also another great Author and I give him 5 stars.

Another series I like is written by Jack Whyte. 5 stars there as well [please note, this series is rather graphic].

The only reason these all have five stars is that they are my favorites... I have many that fall in lower categories... These are great reads and I highly recommend them.

I would have to say the best book I have ever read was ' life on Urth' I cant remember the author, :huh:

but its a tale  of which two people enter a parallel universe coming across things that same so similar and yet so different from things on earth but in this world its called Urth and they travel across the globe to get home and has an ending that will leave you flicking the back pages as you pounder ' is that really the end, what happens next?' and to me the sort of book that leaps :info: out of the pages. 

I would give it 5 out of 5 if it was made into a film I would watch it again and again and again

its really that good ;)

I have many favorite books, but the one I'll share today is The City of Ember, by Jeanne DuPrau. There was also a movie and a graphical novel based off the original book, but the original book will always be my favorite.

Basically, the world fell to Nuclear Warfare, and as a precaution by the government (don't think it ever states which one, so it doesn't step on anybody's toes), a sort of last chance for the Human population would be given in the form of an underground city, called Ember. The story illustrates the city after 200 years have gone by, when the city is beginning to die from natural degradation. The people who built the city left instructions on how to leave the city, which would open automatically when it was safe for people to return to the surface, but they were lost to time. The book goes through they journey that the city takes as time plays out, with the clock ticking in the background, as the city slowly dies.

This book is part of a 4-series set now, with The City of Ember being the first. The second is The People of Sparks, the third is The Prophet of Yonwood, and the fourth is The Diamond of Darkhold. The only one I didn't like enough to purchase is the third one, which was set to happen (in the book's timeline) before the first, as a foreshadow. I personally didn't like the style in which it was written, although the other books were similar to the first, so I enjoyed them.

If this sounds interesting to you, the book is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and more if you just search for it online. For anyone looking for it online in their country, the book's ISBN is 0-375-82273-9.

my favorite book is probely one all of you heard... The Hobbit an Unnexpected Journey! This book is completely action-packed and is wrote by one of the most famous authors of all time... JRR Tolkein. Overall I would rate this book 5-5 stars- amazing! :o  :D  :lol:  :info:  my favorite person in this book is tied with Gandalf and Bilbo Baggins! Bilbo Baggins is just a small Hobbit who lives in a hole not a dirty, smelly or ugly hole a hobbit hole. Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitous life, rarely traveling away from his hobbit hole. but his contentment is disturbed by the wizard Gandalf and a company of dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an adventure. They haved launched a plot to raid the treasure gaurded by Smaug the Magnifasent, A large and very dangerous dragon. Bilbo reluctantly joins there qeust, unaware that his journey to The Lonely Mountain he will encounter a magic ring gaurded by the frightining creature known as Gollum.

I am really enjoying some of Jules Verne's books right now. But for one favourite book... Tim took a good one, so I'll have to go with one similar, but different.

Anthem by Ayn Rand

It is also in the future a couple decades after a war. Though it in the future there isn't advanced technology. Technology has actually decreased, the latest and greatest invention was the candle. Society has change too, the world leaders have taken individuality away by removing words like "I" and "Ego" so people never refer to themselves as a singular person but as a collective "We."

The book is based around this one guy who has always been different then others. And because of that he was always outcasted. He was mainly different in the sense that he had a will for learning and he really wanted to work hard for the good of his brothers, as they called everyone. When the people become a certain age they get assained a life job. The protagonist extremly wanted to be a scholar to advance his studies and unlock the secrets of the world, but he was assained the job street sweeper.

One day on his job he found an old passage to and old subway tunnel with many things he had never seen before. He decided to keep it secret and study there. He figured out many things but mainly he redescovered electrical light. From tests he was doing with different things he kept seeing that there must be an invisible force causing certain events to happen. He tries to show his invention to the world counsel, but they claim that anything done in solitude must be evil and destroyed.

I'm giving to much away but it's a great book.

4 1/2 out 5 stars. (It's kinda too short.)

Right now I'm reading Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake, the second in the trilogy.

The first is Titus Groan, the third, Titus Alone.

Life has become tradition and tradition is stone, the stone of Gormenghast. Live has followed the tradition for a forgotten length of time and no-one knows or questions this tradition until now. It follows the lives of the ruling house of Groan along with the strange and wonderful characters like the Lords servant, Flay, the obese and horrid cook Swelter and the dangerous Machiavellian youth, Steerpike. It is written masterfully by its author with a tone of language like none Iv ever seen. It easily tops J.R.Tolkien, Richard Morgan, Ian Banks (or Ian M Banks if your so inclined), Peter F Hamilton or literally anyone else I have ever read, with regards to language used and the lyrical imagery he gives although its perhaps quite a hard read for those with less time or patience.

Here is a short excerpt:

One of the narrow beams lit Fuchsia's forehead and shoulders, and another plucked a note from her crimson dress. To her right was an enormous crumbling organ. Its pipes were broken and the keyboard shattered. Across its front the labour of a decade of grey spiders had woven their webs into a shawl of lace. It needed but the ghost of an infanta to arise from the dust to gather it about her head and shoulders as the most fabulous of all mantillas.

In the gloom Fuchsia's eyes could barely be seen for the light upon her forehead sank deeper shadows, by contrast, through her face. But they were calm. The excitement that had wakened within them on the stairway had given place to this strange calm. She stood at the stairhead almost another being.

Perhaps a little too much for the younger audience but for those wishing something more adult in their reading and perhaps for those who want to follow in the tone of J.R.Tolkien, then I heavily recommend these books.

There is also a fantastic BBC adaptation of the first 2 books which pulls off the strange quirkiness of the characters very very well.

If you wish to read more on the characters, follow this link: http://www.mervynpeake.org/gormenghast/

Oh and if you hadn't guessed, 5/5 stars!

i don't think i can really call one book my favourite, but i enjoyed 50 shades of gray a LOT and when i was younger i read the HungerGames part One a ton of times because it's just cool :D i still like it, just not as much as i used to :P