Jamie

My Budget PC

Ok guys, so rumour has it I sold my computer, My main beast of a computer.

So what am I going to do with the 500€ budget that I got from my beast of an ex-computer which was worth over 800€ *Yes I'm just generous at times and don't like ripping users off* ?

Build another budget system, but guess what? I'm going to build it so you guys can sit back and watch, take a few tips, see some pictures of me building it and learn something new I guess. (Maybe you will want to do it too?)

So for starters, I have been looking around scavenging out the best parts for what i wanted to do. My main mission is to build a computer that'll run pretty much anything and be an excellent performer in the gaming field. (My old computer really did do this well)

So what did my old computer have?

- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @4Ghz

- 8GB DDR3 RAM

- 1x 60 GB SSD

- 2x 500 GB HDD's

- 1x 2TB HDD

- AMD Radeon HD6770 - Gigabyte OC'ed model @ 900mhz @ 1GB RAM

- Xigmatech Asgard case

Ok, what parts have I looked at so far for this next gaming and work rig?

Well firstly, the age old question, Intel or AMD? I was seriously considering Intel for my next gaming computer but with my budget that's a different story.

Well, I was looking at bundles, firstly I looked at Intel and I was looking at around a 300€ mark for a decent motherboard, processor and set of 8 GB RAM.

So did I find something for around 300 with Intel? Yes, 366€. The bundle was: http://www.dabs.ie/p...5 bundle&src=16

So a core i5-2570k (Quad Core), 8GB RAM and a decent motherboard. Thing is, I'd prefer something better for the price, some may argue your crazy bro? But after so long of loving budget priced systems and helping users get the best value out of custom builds I said, why intel? Yeah maybe they are ahead of the games in some respect but sometimes AMD have out performed Intel builds at the same price point.

So AMD 300€ mark? Awww yeah, Right in the price point.

So, trying to find a bundle, I did find one, but I ain't going to bother mentioning it, If I got it it'd be no match for the old computer I had, I'm trying to beat a 6 month old computer with specifications, not undermine the build and build it with a newer processer with less raw power. So instead of a bundle I looked up individual components. (Bear in mind I did this with Intel and the prices were even more expensive than the bundle and seriously just not worth the time writing about)

What did I come up with? Something awesome.

Processor:

AMD FX 8320 Black Edition @ 3.5 Ghz, This processor is an 8 Core? Octocore Processor, So multitasking and processing will be way more efficent and powerful than a Quad core (With my old processor the AMD 1090T Phenom II X6, wipped any i5, or i3 model. I saw the benefits of 6 cores compared to 4) So 8 cores, Isn't this overkill for a gaming, workstation machine For me no. I use my computer daily and if you have watched me on a livestream, teamviewer you will come to realize I literally have around 100 windows open, 50 / 100 websites open, Minecraft + Tekkit running, JR staff software and if I'm in a gaming mood, steam with a game or two open. With my old processor, it was able to do this, so This 8 core is definatly going to kick ass, especially the fact I'mma overclock it to around 4.2 Ghz !

Cost: €165.21 for the AMD with 8 Cores at 3.5 Ghz vs €221.37 for the Intel i5 Processor that was only stock clocked at 3.4 Ghz with 4 cores.

Passmark ratings show AMD beats the processor at the game too!

AMD FX 8320 Rating: http://www.cpubenchm...ht-Core&id=1782

Intel i5 3570k Rating: http://www.cpubenchm...3570K @ 3.40GHz

Buy here: http://www.dabs.ie/p...-125w-8BXG.html

RAM:

You can never get enough RAM, so for the meantime on a budget I'm shoving in 8 GB min. So hell, Hi Corsair! Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz

Cost: €37.66

Buy here: http://www.dabs.ie/p...0-xmp-83XG.html

Motherboard:

I loved my ASUS motherboard so much, I felt like getting the next upgrade to it, the R2.0 version of it infact! It's fast, functional and has tons of features from ASUS. The new board is the: Asus M5A97 R2.0. Not a huge update from the old PC but, amazing value for money that will pack a punch for overclocking and more!

Cost: €83.27

Buy here: https://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-m5a97-r2-0-am3--amd-970-ddr3-atx-87SZ.html

Ok for the new PC, what's the case going to be? So, I needed something big, elegant, and something that could handle the heat dissapated from all the components that this mean rig will produce, for a budget of around 50€

----

Wo, wo, wo 50? Seriously, 50 for a decent case?

I kid you not, I know my components and cases, So I chose my original case from my old computer because It's an excellent case to build a computer with, especially for budget builds.

So the case: Asgard From Xigmatek (Ties in with a stargate name for you SG1 Fans ;) )

The case is here: http://www.xigmatek....hp?productid=27

What's so great about it?

Toolless case, meaning you only have to screw in the motherboard and case fans, everything else clips in and out!

It has a dust filter, and a front fan.

Plenty of space for expansion and the hefty graphics card we are shoving in :D

It's cheap

Cost: €32.50

Buy here: https://www.dabs.ie/...assis-77R3.html

You forgot the PSU? Where's the PSU!!!!

Shup, didn't forget it.

Ok, so we need something that'll power this beast of a system, now we are on a budget of around €500 and currently have used: €318.64, we still need to remember we need a graphics card, PSU and a harddrive (well I don't I have tons here so I save on that ;) )

So for the PSU:

We need something bigger than 400 - 500 Watt to make sure we can accomodate the HDD's, SSD, Graphics and the Massive power from the AMD processor. I already have chosen my graphics card, haven't written it down will do shortly but!

To calculate the required spec PSU I calculated "remembering the OC'ed components" the PSU min wattage needed using a tool at: http://www.extreme.o...n.com/PSUEngine

I got 395 Watt at 90% Load. With 4.2 Ghz OC on our 8 core processor. Pretty good, so staying budget I have ordered:

https://www.dabs.ie/...n-pfc-850C.html

Best Value, Yes, I have used them before and I haven't had an issue yet. Budget be budget!

Cost: €23.14

So, let's look at what we have:

- Processor

- RAM

- Motherboard

- Case

- PSU

What's left in my build?

- Graphics

What don't I need in my specific build ? (I'll post a suggestion after for you enthusiasts that want more information on missing parts)

- DVD drive <-- Old school, I download all my data (Legitimately, using steam and other services such as spotify) The internet is the best media now for programs, games. Plus it saves the enviroment's plastic, although it ruins jobs in the produce market :P (plus generally cheaper if bought online)

- OS <-- Just bought windows 8 before this build.

- HDD + SSD drive <-- I have this ready here.

Graphic Card? Nvidia or AMD?

This is a budget system, even though budget I'd still choose AMD, in graphics AMD / ATI have really taken a leap over nvidia, in price, performance and quality. I have had 2 Nvidia cards burn out on me, I ain't going to bother explaining but it was Nvidia's fault. AMD have got my purchase.

So what card?

XFX AMD Radeon 7770 1GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI Core Edition, XFX have always been reliable, especially with cooling and stable overclocks. This core edition is clocked at 1Ghz! :D And is the big brother from the HD6770 That I have been running for 6 months.

Cost: €111.45

Buy here: http://www.dabs.ie/p...DG5.html?src=15

Ok keeping within the budget, I'm at €430.90! That's all I have to buy as I have the following already bought and pulled out from my Main computer before I sold it:

- OCZ Agility 3 60 GB SSD

An amazing SSD, for the price, Fast but a little short on the space (This'll be the boot drive anyway ;) )

Cost: €54.40

Buy here: http://www.dabs.ie/p...=OCZ SSD&src=16

- Hitachi 500 GB JPT39C

A old but reliable HDD, Not budget really, will be used as my Programs drive

Cost: €100 - €150

Buy here: http://www.serverpar...A-P1792671.aspx

- Hitachi 2TB MNR5C0

This HDD has an amazing story, it was the original Server drive from JR's first dedicated server in November - 2011. We had an issue with OVH and they sent the HDD to me, so I backed up the original files and kept the drive for personal use :D - This will be used for files as it always has been. It's an expensive drive, but I got it for free so I ain't bothered

Cost: €200

Buy here: http://usaharddrive....ew-p-35485.html

So basically, for the components I have got without a DVD drive and a HDD I'm paying: €430.90 ok, so as I promised to keep within the €500 budget I'll put a suggestion out there for a DVD and a HDD that'll be within budget but still great for gaming and more!

HDD: Seagate 500GB Barracuda SATA-600 7200RPM 16MB 3.5"

I've never had an issue with a seagate HDD, till I shoved 230V of AC through a 12V DC Seagate HDD, They are pretty indestructible till you do that!

Cost: €53.35

Buy Here: http://www.dabs.ie/p...7M3C.html?src=3

So we are at: €483.44, leaving 16.56 for a DVD drive! Oh looky here:

DVD RW Drive:

http://www.dabs.ie/p...79TC.html?src=3

Cost: €16.07

So that leaves: 49 Cent! Unfortunatly, we are missing one thing for you budget users, The OS! While in this day and age I'd recommend linux like I used (With windows, dual boot ofc) Your going to have to purchase Windows 8, You can buy a genuine upgrade copy (Even though it strictly isn't allowed) and use it for your build, costing around 39.99 for a copy sent to you from microsoft.

Luckily I have one, so that'll be installed on this computer.

So anyway, not much to say right now, I'll be posting another addition to this post outlining the various areas when I build the computer, so you guys can follow along. If your going to be purchasing the computer I'm getting, Including OS your talking around 550€, not too bad for a computer that'd give an i5, and some i7's a run for it's money. While remaining an excellent computer, looking amazing and costing less than half of a computer you'd get from a store (They always charge a huge amount for labor - Something I was against at my workplace when I worked at a computer store, also why I custom build them myself) it's not just an average low rate machiene, When built, this'll be a high rate gaming machine. Also remember if I used intel, I'd have got a slower machine for productivity than this AMD build and also it'll cost around 80 euro more

Please note, since this is a budget build that I'm building I haven't added any additional cooling as I'm going to be using stock parts, including coolers. We will be using the official AMD cooler, which is more than enough to cool the system with the .3 - .5 Ghz overclock that'll I'll be doing.

Hope you enjoy this post, I'll do more like this soon!

Edit:

Why I choose Windows 8?

For a couple of reasons, It's faster than windows 7 by a long shot and is proven, it's more stable, doesn't need an antivirus as it's built in and best of all it's cheap!

For you people who don't want to move to the future of the innoative Tiled interface go and install Windows 8 anyway, and either get used to it or use classic start that disables the tiled interface and reverts it to a fully desktop interface: http://ninite.com/classicstart/

Don't start a rage about 8, in my opinion I like it, it does everything I want it to do, is fast about it and runs smooth. If you don't like my opinion tough, don't bother raging here as per the rules consequences will happen ;)

Edit Edit:

I forgot to mention I will be taking pictures and updating this post with information on what I am doing with the computer as soon as I get the parts :D

I personally love how you chose Windows 8 :D

I'm still on Windows 7 but I'm hoping to upgrade at some time, and I LOVE how it looks like Xbox live :D

Also this is quite a nice build :P

If I do say so myself

I'm also glad you chose AMD, on my old laptop I had massive amounts of problems with Nvidia.

I personally love how you chose Windows 8 :D

I'm still on Windows 7 but I'm hoping to upgrade at some time, and I LOVE how it looks like Xbox live :D

Also this is quite a nice build :P

If I do say so myself

I'm also glad you chose AMD, on my old laptop I had massive amounts of problems with Nvidia.

Thank you, Yes Windows 8 is rather nice alright. May I ask if that was a HP Dv- something laptop? As I worked with a lot of them that had a nVidia heat problem that burnt out the motherboard basically.

well, I love the Asus motherbored you're going to get! thats the one Ive been saving for. But im a intel guy, but if you can affors a i7 go with AMD. My tech tech teacher at school has the same graphics card, and it kicks ass... But im sure with the parts you have listed you will get a no lag gameplay on Chefville! while not sending me tons of invites!

JRLogo6.pngJamie' timestamp=1355184431' post='91775] What's so great about it? Toolless case, meaning you only have to screw in the motherboard and case fans, everything else clips in and out! It has a dust filter, and a front fan. Plenty of space for expansion and the hefty graphics card we are shoving in It's cheap :D

This seems to be a standard for most cases now plus the bottom-mounted power supplies which is all nice additions of course!

well, I love the Asus motherbored your going to get! thats the one Ive been saving for. But im a intel guy, but if you can affors a i7 go with AMD. My tech tech teacher at school has the same graphics card, and it kicks ass... But im sure with the parts you have listed you will get a no lag gameplay on Chefville! while not sending me tons of invites!

If you are going to get that Motherboard remember it's an AMD motherboard and only AMD processors will work. I have intel and AMD processors here at home with the various laptops and desktops I have. AMD strangley are the ones that are working fine.

And chefville lol, that's not all I have in mind for this computer.

I'm assuming the prices you've listed include S&H? Otherwise your budget bubble may pop by just a small amount... XD

Of course if you mean VAT? Delivery is only a couple of € too since I'll be getting most of the parts at once.

This seems to be a standard for most cases now plus the bottom-mounted power supplies which is all nice additions of course!

Yes agreed, but the case I'm getting even though cheap, is steel, not roughly cut aluminium

Thank you, Yes Windows 8 is rather nice alright. May I ask if that was a HP Dv- something laptop? As I worked with a lot of them that had a nVidia heat problem that burnt out the motherboard basically.

No it was a Dell (Explains it all)

Specs:

nVidia 525M 1GBRAM (OnBoard)

Intel 2ndGen i7

8GB RAM

500GB HD (I Think.)

http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-17r-n7110/pd

Edited by Jack_Keeley
Added Specs :P

Just to keep you informed guys, I can't really work on JR till I get this new computer.

Luckily the case and PSU is on its way and the rest of the system will be on its way in the next day :D So Hopefully by the end of the week to the start of next week I'll have my new system and you will be able to see how I built it :D

An amazing SSD, for the price, Fast but a little short on the space (This'll be the boot drive anyway ;))

So you are using your SSD as a boot drive which makes sense considering its capacity. I'm assuming that you only have the Windows OS files on this drive.

In that case:

• What is the drive letter that is assigned to the SSD?
  • Where are your program files stored?; and
  • In terms of capacity, how big do you think an SSD should be for it to be a comfortable system drive?

I just want to know these things because I'm looking into an SSD myself, thanks Jamie :)

So you are using your SSD as a boot drive which makes sense considering its capacity. I'm assuming that you only have the Windows OS files on this drive.

In that case:

• What is the drive letter that is assigned to the SSD?
  • Where are your program files stored?; and
  • In terms of capacity, how big do you think an SSD should be for it to be a comfortable system drive?

I just want to know these things because I'm looking into an SSD myself, thanks Jamie :)

Drive letter doesn't matter, Normally as a boot drive the drive letter will be C, but you can safely change that if needed ;)

My program files will be stored on the additional 500 GB I will have on the system. The SSD will have a symbolic link, linking the program files directory to the 500 GB.

Capacity, depending on the OS and what you'd like to do with it. For installing programs on the SSD, I'd recommend at least a 128 GB SSD min. But for installing all your games and more go for a min of a 256 GB SSD. Or do what I did, get a small one to boot and use windows / linux from and symbollic link the directories to other places. (Or use window's built in feature called library's)

Please note that Windows Vista is a no no for SSD's it'll burn out the SSD faster than you can imagine Windows 7 + 8 have protection and put in some stops to make the SSD perform and last the fastest and longest.

I would also be interested in the Symbolic link as I am going to put 2x 160GB SATA drives into my PC Build and would like to use them for some of my files

I'd recommend using a Raid 0 array for the 2x 160 GB Files. Just make sure you have a 320 GB to backup your files as well.