Wolf

Just got Windows 8!

Hey guys!

So I downloaded the Windows 8 installation ISO, and made a Windows To Go bootable disk out of a very small external HDD. Unfortunately, flash drives have limited r/w cycles and keep showing up as "removable" so I can't partition it. Anyway, I tried booting it, and suprisingly, it was very fast! Less than a minute, and that was using USB 2.0.

I haven't activated it yet, so I've got 90 days. The portability is certainly a big bonus. Plug it in to any x86 system and it boots, from a decade old Intel Pentium 4 to the latest i7 (or Xeon).

So anyway, now I can get Visual Studio 2012 now. You'll be seeing some Metro apps coming from me soon! :D

Any comments?

I recently got windows 8 too and haven't regretted it one bit. Although some things are a pain (outdated drivers mainly :/) most of it is great. I can't see a major point to fault it on. It seems more efficent and just seems a lot nicer to work with. Even though some of the apps are a pain (looking at you skype xD) you can always download the desktop version (the one which actually works :P).

Nice! I'm planning buy it off Microsoft directly because it's so much cheaper than buying it retail which is weird.

I've tested Windows 8 before and I've noticed how quick it boots up. Just imagine how beautiful it is if you installed it on an SSD; it would load in a matter of seconds, literally.

Nice! I'm planning buy it off Microsoft directly because it's so much cheaper than buying it retail which is weird.

I've tested Windows 8 before and I've noticed how quick it boots up. Just imagine how beautiful it is if you installed it on an SSD; it would load in a matter of seconds, literally.

Try my computer, Under 8 second bootup

The boot sequence is a little different from windows 7, making Windows 8 far faster to boot. It also is way more power efficient for mobile devices etc.

I'm so sorry for you!

I'm sorry you don't have Windows 8, It's amazing. If you don't like metro download classic start ..... 

Well, the flash drive is so convenient. W2G automatically detects your system configuration and installs drivers via Windows Update. The main reason why I'm sticking to a USB is so that I don't hafta tri-boot.

It's mainly a toy and a development took (for me, at least). I'm pretty sure I can pick up the art of developing apps soon.

The only reason it boots so fast is because when you shutdown, it actually hibernates. All Windows has to do is to re-initialize the drivers. That's why it only takes 15 seconds.

I still use Windows 7 mostly. Windows 8 is just way too mouse-oriented for me...

So I was trying to make a simple "Hello World" app...and I couldn't compile it. Well...it says that I can't even run an app on my own damn computer without a developer's licence! This really pisses me off because it's my computer...and Microsoft is controlling what I run on it! So I hafta create another account, this time for Microsoft. But then the developer's licence windows disappears, and I can't even enter my credentials. Ugh what a pain!

See more

I've had Windows 8 since it first became available on TechNet. It's quite nice, though of course just like Vista (which my gaming desktop still runs because Vista is boss) there are driver issues, manufacturers like Intel not writing drivers for chips that are only a year old so you have to load Windows 7 drivers in, but it is as everyone else has mentioned very efficient. UEFI booting by default is very nice, and if you have an SSD it is stupid fast. My only gripe is with Metro, which still needs some work in my opinion for it to be usable on a desktop but ClassicShell fixes that right up.

Looks like another has come over to the side of "Screw Windows 8", Jamie! XD

hey you are not the only one, i sat down in my cisco networking academy and we had got the virtual. i spent five minutes and i was about ready to kill it. windows 8 is horrible, ill stick with 7 and XP

did you just say "vista is boss", do you live under a rock, you cant run any old stuff on it, it tries to commit suicide. and windows 8 is only decent on tablets or that half tablet have computer intel has. other than that its absolute crap, im waiting to see how many problems its going to have 

not just for the first problems i was talking about compiling a list not just having the first few

I have had it for about 2-3 weeks and the only problem I had was my wireless adapter wouldn't work because the company that made it didn't make a driver for it past windows vista. Other than that one issue I haven't had a single bug or issue.

Windows 8 is going to have to start making bugs pretty quickly otherwise I may only have 1 or 2 after about a year and not this list you speak of :P

Seriously you should give it more of a chance, its just a case of getting used to it :)

you're not going to see much in a few months it will take at least 1-2 years to start compiling a good list of problems 

It's the same with every windows OS, just people pick up more on the OS' that they want to prove are the worse ones

It's the same with every windows OS, just people pick up more on the OS' that they want to prove are the worse ones

So I guess you could say that some of the "errors" aren't errors at all, just things that you dislike about the OS.

I bought Windows 8 and a 256GB OCZ Agility 4 SSD last week and only installed the OS last night. From what I recall, it literally booted in seconds. I'd say 3 to 5 seconds tops. However, I'm not using the SSD until I get the new case. Is there are list of things you guys suggest I should do when I do start using Windows 8? :o