AbeTheMusokon

Video software

Lightworks is free (and they claim it's open source though it's a blatant lie).

Their "forums" are full of nothing but "Admins" that won't reply unless they can ask "did you turn off your firewall", and beyond that they are no help whatsoever if you run into HASP issues, but if you're running Windows and you can get it working (it just randomly worked for me after one update, so it clearly wasn't a problem with my HASP LM), I'd have to suggest this one.

EDIT: Lightworks is a video editor; if you're looking for free, easy to use capturing software (to actually record game play), Fraps is probably the best free one for Windows. I'd recommend Bandicam over it, but not it's free version - just the paid version (but that costs about 40USD last I checked).

If you're on a Mac, someone like @Alex would definitely be more suited to help you, and if you run Linux, I'd have to ask @Zistack to suggest something, since while I do use it for a NAS in the house, it isn't my primary OS, and I'm not up to date on what the best video editing software available for it would be.

EDIT: For future reference, this topic really belongs over here, not in General chat. But not a big deal :)

Edited by Tim

Bandicam is free

Yeah, they do have a free version, but personally I prefer the free version of Fraps over it. The paid version of Bandicam definately is superior to the paid version of Fraps though. But that is a good point!

You brony you :P

For Mac here's my list of recommendation:

As Alex said, iMovie is an amazing piece of software. If you want something better than iMovie, I can suggest Premiere Pro by Adobe or Final Cut Pro by Apple. I have only tested Final Cut, yet my friend (who knows this kind of stuff as well) loves Premiere Pro.

As for screen recording, QuickTime works, yet I've experienced some problems with low light recording (I'm not sure why, maybe I just messed up), yet I use ScreenFlow. It's OK, I don't like the way they have an editor embedded in it, yet it's the best I found.

Basically, if you want a cheap (well, "cheap") piece of software that records in full HD and good quality, and with which you can then edit (really easily, intuitively), use ScreenFlow.

(Sorry I couldn't give prices, but ScreenFlow is on the Mac AppStore, and iMove & QuickTime are pre-installed on Mac, and Premiere Pro & Final Cut are expensive)

I can suggest Premiere Pro by Adobe

I've had the luxury of using that once before (on Win), it was definitely a NICE piece of linear editing software, but the price tag was enough for me to not even consider it. If I ever manage to become good at YouTube, and manage to make some money off it, I may get that though, just because it was that nice.

There's a free version of fraps?  Is there a mac version? 

In that order, Yes, and I don't believe so, though it's possible someone may have tried to port it at one time.

EDIT: The main reason I think the free version of Fraps is > than the free version of Bandicam is because Fraps only stamps a watermark in the free version, whereas Bandicam does that, plus limits you to (I believe) 30 minutes of recording time in one go.

I personally use Video Pad Video Editor, it works extremely well, and it's also free.

For recording I use Screencast O-matic, which is a great video capture, as it records anything you drag it's borders to surround. Also lets you record your voice in it.

I hate to spoil the fun, but in linux, this kind of functionality comes practically built-in.

http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/148/capture-video-of-a-linux-desktop

I have the ffmpeg command and I didn't have to do anything special to get it.  Even if I did, it would be somewhere along the lines of 'sudo pacman -S ffmpeg' in a terminal.  Similarly if I actually did want another program. 

I am sure this is not the only method, but as far as screen grabbing goes, you don't really need any special software.  The X-server (required if you have a GUI) alone comes with a number of tools related to screen capture and remote viewing.  The desktop comes with even more. 

Incidentally, Minecraft runs like a boss on my linux install - far better than under the Windows install on the same hardware (despite having to use bumblebee and optirun).  If you really need the FPS, you could consider setting up a multi-boot. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.