Carter

League of Legends Terminology

When first joining and playing League of Legends all the terms you'll hear will make your head spin and quite frankly can be quite off putting. What this guide will do is teach you quite a few of the important terms from the game, as well as a few that coincide with other MOBAs.
Feeding- Giving kills to other team. Mainly meant kills given during early game from laning into mid game. Can also refer to giving opposing laner uncontested farming.
Farming- Act of killing minions for gold and XP.
CS- Stands for creep score, meaning amount of minions you kill. Scaling- Meaning an ability becomes more powerful based on a certain percent of AD or AP.
AP- Ability Power (Magic)
AD- Attack Damage (Physical)
APC- Ability Power Carry, typically a champion who has high damage output with skills scaling off of AP, usually in the mid lane.
ADC- Attack Damage Carry, typically a champion who is ranged and is meant to deal damage primarily through basic attack, but there are other cases where an ADC is meant to be ability based. ADCs based on basic attacks are in bottom lane while ADCs based on abilities maybe in mid lane
Lane- The track on which you go during laning phase. There is top lane, middle lane and bottom lane (usually shortened to top, mid and bot)
The phases- The phases are based on what gameplay will be most common then. There are 3 main phases in general, laning, mid game and late game. During laning you'll be sticking to one lane for the most part just last-hitting and accumulating gold, occasionally going for poking and occasionally kills.
Burst- Capable of dealing lots of damage in short periods of time
Squishy- A champion who takes damage easily, as well as low health.
Mid-laner- A champion who is typically squishy but has high burst damage.
Top-laner- Usually a champion who is fairly tanky. Usually have moderate damage output. Most champions can go top-lane if they don't fit elsewhere.
Jungler- A champion who farms primarily in the jungles between lanes. Has objective control (Buffs, Dragon, Baron) and is meant to gank the lanes when they're in trouble, or help push.
Support- A champion who has low damage output (usually) but can buff allies, debuff enemies or has high crowd control. Also can have heals
(De)Buff- An ability that temporarily raises (or with debuff lowers) the stats of a champion.
Crowd Control- Commonly referred to as CC, is an ability that inhibits a champion. These include slows, snares, stuns and silences.
Tenacity- A passive "ability" that comes from some items or masteries reducing the duration of CC
Snare- The disabling of movement or movement abilities for a short period of time
Silence- The disabling of a champion from using abilities for a short period of time
Masteries- "Skills" you can level up with skill points you get as your account (summoner) levels up. Up to 30.
Passive- An ability that is constantly happening. You don't need to do anything to make them happen, except for proc them. All champions have one and many items do as well.
Active- An ability or item you have to press a key to activate.
Proc- To meet the conditions to activate a passive.
Buffs- There are 3 in the game. Red, from elder lizards, which deals true damage over time and slows the enemy who takes damage from the person with the buff. Blue buff massively increases Mana/Energy regeneration as well as adds 10% Cooldown Reduction, this comes from giant golem. Then there is "Purple Buff" from boss monster Baron Na'Shor which goes to everyone on the team that killed it gives an AD, AP, Health Regen and Mana Regen boost.
Baron Na'Shor- Large purple serpent near top lane that provides purple buff.
Dragon- Monster near bottom lane that provides gold to whole team that kills it.
Cooldown Reduction- (CDR) Reduces the time between the time you can cast your abilities.
Armor- Reduces damage from physical damage
Magic Resist (MR)- Reduces damage taken from magic damage.
True Damage- Damage that cannot be inhibited, will always deal as much as is shown.
Brush- Long grass that you become unseeable in, unless a ward or the other team is in.
Ward- A cheap item that provides vision of the area. Comes in two varieties, vision, which cost less, last three minutes and provide normal vision, which also come from trinkets. These wards fade into invisibility after a second or two but take 3 hits to destroy. Pinks, are a special kind of ward that last forever, or until destroyed. These take 5 hits to destroy but do not turn invisible. These also have true sight. Each player can have 3 visions and 1 pink out at a time.
True sight- Can see everything in the area, including invisible units.
Trinkets- Come in 3 varieties, Red, Blue and Yellow. You can have one at a time and they take up your 7th slot (only trinkets go here.) They are free, but at level 9 can be upgraded for a small fee. Yellows can make vision wards, and can be upgraded into Yellow or Pink. Yellow wards last extra long from this or can just make pinks free. Red trinket is a scanner that reveals invisible wards and traps but can be upgraded to reveal champions as well. Blue trinket gives you vision at a distance. Upgrading improves range of the trinket.
Summoner Spells- Spells that are free and have a variety of uses depending on the 2 you take.
Teamfight- A fight typically involving a majority of players from both teams.
Roles- Each champion has one, some have two. Defines the playstyle of the champion.
Tank- Champions who take a beating, usually playing a distraction from the main damage dealers. Also usually are the ones to initiate teamfights. Teams usually have at least two per team. Meant to counter ADCs and assassins.
Fighter- A champion that can take some damage, but can also return it fairly well. Meant to counter tanks.
Marksman: An ADC, usually needs protection of a tank. Meant to counter fighters.
Mage- An APC, usually possessing some self protection be it in CC or mobility abilities. Still fairly squishy. Meant to counter tanks and fighters.
Assassin- An AP or AD champion. Usually have high burst, but are VERY squishy. Meant to counter Mages and ADCs.
Support- (Look above for description) Usually at the ADCs side. Doesn't counter anything, mainly for feeding kills to ADC and backing up team.
Ganking- Term used for coming from another place in order to help kill the opposing champ. Usually job of Jungler. Mid-laners often gank as well if they win lane. Wards are used to help get warned about ganks.
Ks- Stands for kill steal. Meaning you take a kill from a teammate when they do most of damage to it (or they think it's theirs)
Ping- Using Alt-Click to send a notice on other players screens (in mini map as well) to say something. There are 5 different pings: Attention, Help Me, On my way, Enemy missing, Danger
Attention- When you just hold Alt and click somewhere this will make a blue dot that makes a sound. This usually means for teammates to look there. If you click on an enemy champion/structure you will get a "Target Ping" which tells to all teammates to attack this. This ping also occurs when clicking on jungle monsters, including Baron and Dragon. When you click on friends structures the "Defend ping" happens, making a green shield telling allies to defend that structure.
Missing enemy- Also called M.I.A. (Missing in action) this tells allies your lane opposer is missing. It is essential to do this as soon as you believe your lane enemy is gone. To do this hold alt click and drag your mouse left.
Danger- Activate by holding alt-click and dragging up to warn allies. Can also be done with Alt-V. If you click an ally with this it will tell them to fall back.
Assist me- Hold alt-click and drag down to ask an ally to come to your lane to help.
On my way- Hold alt-click and drag right to tell your team you're making your way there now.
Disrespecting- Spamming your champions dance/laugh/joke/taunt in order to tease enemy team.

Meta- The term used to describe whatever is at present popular to the main scene, typically "set" by LCS players. (League Championship Series, aka professional players.) This usually changes with all major updates.

Peel- In general it's pulling the assassins and opposing enemy carries off your carry by using CC to keep them down. Imagine your ADC like an orange anything that wants to kill your carry is bad skin on it. So you "peel them" off of your carry by making it easier for the carry to kill them (or for you to kill them)

If any more terms come up you don't understand please ask below and I'll try to clear them up!
Also I'll soon make a quick "position overview" video to give a rundown on what each position is about.

.... dang you took some time into this. I learned somethings from this xD. I also have been playing for some time now :P.

You'd be surprised how much of this you can type up on notes on an iPod during a couple hour long drives XD

But yeah I've been playing for a year now and I've heard most terms to my knowledge

Oh I remembered a term I forgot off of the initial post

Meta- The term used to describe whatever is at present popular to the main scene, typically "set" by LCS players. (League Championship Series, aka professional players.) This usually changes with all major updates.

*Edit*
Another term Alex pointed out that I was missing

Peel- In general it's pulling the assassins and opposing enemy carries off your carry by using CC to keep them down. Imagine your ADC like an orange anything that wants to kill your carry is bad skin on it. So you "peel them" off of your carry by making it easier for the carry to kill them (or for you to kill them)

Split-push - When a champion is pushing a lane (destroying towers, inhibitors, minions) while the rest of the team is focused in one general area, diverting the enemy team's attention from that champion. Typically a high Attack Damage champion, usually the ADC. 

Inc - Used after a champion is called out, short for incoming. "Ruh-roh, Ezreal is incoming." 

Backdoor - Almost like split-pushing, but this is for ending the game. When the enemy team, as well as your team, are focused in one area, not quick enough to notice that the champion is already pushed all the way to the nexus, virtually unnoticed. 

Ranked Playlist - This is where the big boys go to play, achieved at Summoner Level 30, allows you to play with players who are in it for the competition more than the casual play. (Sort of like the difference between Social and Normal ranking in Halo 3, only you must first get to the highest level.) Ranked starts off with placements, 10 games that determine your rank. 

*Rank - There are 7 tiers of ranked, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, and Challenger. Within these tiers are 5 divisions and in order to advance a division, you must accumulate 100 LP, then play a set of placements to move up the division list (varies depending on the TIER you are in). 

League Points - Commonly referred to as LP, which are the points used for ranked games which determine your rank. When you win games, you gain LP, lose games, lose LP. 

Dodge - Dodging is a term used for when someone closes out of the launcher during champion select in a game. This is generally used for when friends come on during the time you are in champion select and you want to join them, however, there is a penalty for dodging (temporary ban from joining games, and if in ranked, lost LP).

*Needs slight review. 

*Rank - There are 7 tiers of ranked, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, and Challenger. Within these tiers are 5 divisions and in order to advance a division, you must accumulate 100 LP, then play a set of placements to move up the division list (varies depending on the TIER you are in). 

This is correct, mostly. Where you are wrong is that Master and Challenger ONLY have one rank, they don't have a 5-1 like the others. Instead you endlessly accumulate (and lose) LP. The difference between Challenger is that Master can have any number of players inside of it, while Challenger is on a 24 hour (I believe) rotation, only the top 200 players (based on LP) can be in there per day.