Jamie

Revamping JR

Hey guys,

Just a small post requesting a little bit of help. I need to know what you think about JR where it is and what you would like me to do to make it a better place. Please post any suggestions or feed back below as soon I will be changing JR around and I'd prefer to have a bit of community response in doing so :)

Best Regards,

Jamie

Current Problems:

• Staff not considering resolutions or aspect ratios of images when posting articles.The images should all fit 16:9 in my mind as that is the greatest used aspect ratio currently. I hate it when something looks off of my main screen due to it's aspect ratio and makes me die a little inside seeing a stretched image. Where as on my 4:3 monitor I couldn't care less xD
  • The layout of the forums. They are all over the place. I would personally like to see a greater emphasis on our general forum to boost activity between members and our technology forum which seems to go unnoticed nowadays.
  • The communication between staff is lacking and I believe we need some better policies in place (will come back to this some other time)
  • The staff forums are uber messy
  • What is the point in having the groups plugin; they are currently unused.

This is all that I can think of off of the top of my head just from a quick glance up and down the forum index page :)

Edit:

• Upon closer inspection the staff ranks are really messy and we do have a lot of inactive staff members.

I agree with a lot of what Chris put - especially about the images on the slider, although being honest I have no clue if the images I'm using are the right aspect ratio, I just know they look okay on my screen :P It might be good to have a look to see if anything else does the same thing, or find an alternative method of doing it (my next point might be a way we could do that but it's a bit of an awkward way of doing it probably :P).

Other than that and I don't really know how possible this would be but I think a more customizable homepage might be good - something that can be easily edited by staff in some parts depending on time of year (other than articles of course), current events ect. Maybe the homepage could use something else instead of the forum software? I know that kind of takes away from the whole centralised system JR has but there are alternatives that I think might be easier to work with on pages with content on (such as wordpress). Can't think of any specific examples when I've seen it before but I have seen it in the past on some sites and it does seem to work. Though I'm sure it's still possible on the forum software, I just haven't seen it to frequently on other sites before. 

Global chat across all Minecraft servers would be good, I know it has been the case for me in the past where I've went on then left because no one was on the server I was doing stuff on so I got bored and ended up leaving, I think global chat would make the server a nicer place to be on when it only has a few players on across all the servers. Also we have no clue if new players need help when in the login hub (no clue what they could need help with but you do get players like that :P ) as when they join the chat in the login hub is isolated from everywhere else. 

More member input might be good too, the suggestions forums seems to be something that is very rarely used now which is a shame because it is a really good way for members to put across their ideas. I definitely think member use of the forums should be encouraged a lot more. It would be good to see a few member responses to this too (and not just staff) although I know we can't exactly do anything if no members do respond :P

Other than that I can't think of much. I agree with Chris about communication between staff + staff inactivity however I'm slightly guilty of that myself due to school ect. However I'm pretty sure I remember the staff forums being used a lot more when I first joined (almost weekly at minimum) although that might just be me remembering something that never happened xD.

I think that's all really :) 

Well, I think a lot of the server's charm has left. The problem I see is that there's barely ever anyone on, and they're not usually the fun people, either. What JR used to be to me was a sense of fun loving Minecraft community that was always welcoming new people. However, most of those people are gone. I think the issue here is getting people to stay. You can only build so many castles before you move on to play other things. If I recall, JR levels was originally used to get people to stay, (Talking about the RP server) because it gave them a sense of accomplishment. Don't remember why we stopped using it, but I know that now mcMMO is implemented to try to do a similar thing. The thing is though, is that if you come late to the game, someone will always trump you. There's going to be someone who's played longer so they have higher points, and no matter how hard you work, they're working just as hard to make sure you don't catch up, making you sit there and say, "What's the point?" We might need a new system, one that can't be manipulated by who's been playing longer. What it'll be, I'm not sure. I'm only putting it out on the table. Just try your best to improve things around here, and it'll show.

16:9 -> 1920 x 1080 :P

You have informed us of this before unlike other staff who have disappeared off the face of the earth xD

The developer stopped coding JR Levels, told Jamie a month afterwards and no one could make sense of the code. 

That was causing people's clients to crash (I think) :(

His GitHub account was wiped so we did not have access to the pull request with updated code for the repository. Its not that nobody could make sense of the code. It was fully understandable when I glanced at it in the past :).

I think we need to start from scratch dedicating our time to one single server. As running the amount we have is just to much work. We can still leave the old stuff there just work on one server at a time and no rushing it. Plan it out and do it right. I'm thinking to start with RPG and work on it from the ground up.

"The thing is though, is that if you come late to the game, someone will always trump you. There's going to be someone who's played longer so they have higher points, and no matter how hard you work, they're working just as hard to make sure you don't catch up,"

Theres nothing wrong with a bit of competition on a server, if everyone remained on the same level with no advantage over one another whether it be a level or what, it would just get boring.

what do you think you guys?

Reason why I say the above is. Any time I come online on the server or to do maintenance most of the servers are empty. Something seriously needs to be done and planned out right. Not throwing it out there like we did in the past. I have been on some major servers and the amount of planning they must have done must have took months, even longer. But the experience it brings is something else and hence why they get so much players. You plan it out right, give players an experience they cannot get elsewhere, and give them a reason to want to come back, it will be successful. Otherwise we are just wasting our time.

I would like to give my input concerning what's been going on in JR. I have given a lot of suggestions for the community in the past, however, I don't believe any of them (or at least most of them) were further implemented.

• Remove every server and keep one. This whole hub server isn't going to work efficiently. The point is, the server has a significantly low player base at the moment. Think about how it is when the player base is divided onto several servers? There's going to be so little people on each server. As a result, they'd direct towards similar communities that are far more popular. It's always great to see the server focus on one goal as a server. I recommend removing all servers and keeping RPG and making it the BEST it can be, therefore, cancelling other similar competitive servers. On the other hand, I wouldn't call it 'RPG' because it has nothing to do with 'Role-Play' at the moment. Make it a simple, yet unique, survival server with enjoyable plugins that kids find rather entertaining. The server should concentrate on keeping the "leveling-up" aspect of it for that encourages players to continue to play on the server. This should come along with "titles" that come besides their IGN in chat once they level up.

• Furthermore, the server needs a major staff wipe. There seems to be so many staff members that aren't visiting the server & the forums. After reading Chris' comment on some of the staff, I was curious to check some of their profiles. Some of the staff members literally last came on the forums in November/October/December. That's a horrible way to represent the server and forums as a staff member if that's how inactive you're going to be. Like, they should at least "browse" the forums to stay up-to-date on what's going on. The server doesn't need any staff members. Wipe every single staff member you guys believe is not contributing to the community due to inactivity. I'm not blaming those inactive individuals. They might have reasons. Regardless, I am looking at it from a different percpective taking a look at how JR's being affected when so is occurring. Besides that, although it's not obligatory, I believe all staff members including Jamie should vote for the server everyday. It just takes <5 mins and it would help a lot, believe me.

• Make a YouTube rank. YouTube is the website were all the Minecraft players direct to when looking for servers. You guys can get fairly 'popular' youtubers on the server using this. However, I am saying get 50k sub YouTubers :P. I am saying get people with like 600-2000 subscribers and so to make videos for the server and to be very active. You can message people on YouTube. Lots of them are going to ask for a payment for that. A very small payment if they have 600-2000(15-20 dollars). This can help build a player base from scratch and get people to be more active. The problem is, most YouTubers aren't interested in normal 'survival/towny/RPG'.  They seem to enjoy Factions more due to the suspence that comes with it (Everyone likes blowing up bases xD). If it's going to difficult to attract YouTubers onto the server, improve the 'current' YouTube channel it has. Whoever has good screen recording, should record himself playing on the server, making 1-2 videos every 3 days. They should further spread the word about that channel. That will help JR big time.

• Make the server very practical for users and supply them with essential plugins with simple-to-use commands.

Just some of my suggestions with my current experience as I have been working with some servers.

I believe all staff members including Jamie should vote for the server everyday. It just takes <5 mins and it would help a lot, believe me

That just ain't gonna happen while I'm here ;)

--

Frank I have to agree with you about the servers. Hence why I just want us to be based around a survival aspect with some features to draw users in while working on something bigger 

We shouldnt focus just solely on MC. we also have all these other servers such as Tf2, CS:Source, Nuclear dawn.... We could also make Game nights for games on Xbox and PlayStation..... 

Also Chris sometimes staff members go through things in which they cannot even inform other people. Sure I dropped of the face of the earth for a while but that was because of a huge family issue that I couldnt even get on the Internet and talk to you guys about. 

And why not ?? Rob & I vote when we come one ..you're better than us? I agree with Karim we ALL need to vote to get JR back up & Noticed!

No it is not because I am better than you. Simple thing is, I am no longer here for minecraft really. I use JR for the forums and the odd bit of helping someone out on minecraft. And seeing as I don't check JR everyday now because I spend time with my girlfriend I do not see why it should be such a requirement. Yes it would be nice but however some of us have better things to be doing with our lives

us have better things to be doing with our lives

You're pretty much wasting less than 5 minutes everyday. It's not going to be prevent you from doing something 'better'. Like, you don't even need to be on Minecraft to vote.

That's true. JR can change a bit and direct away from Minecraft. I believe it would be awesome if a it had a Rust server. The only problem is that not all the staff members have rust I guess.

You're pretty much wasting less than 5 minutes everyday. It's not going to be prevent you from doing something 'better'. Like, you don't even need to be on Minecraft to vote.

What I am getting at is; I am not constantly thinking of JR. I'm not gonna vote everyday. 

I have only been able to skim across some of the points today. I'm going to make a big post with everyone's suggestions soon. I'd like to stress as well. JR was never just Minecraft, even though it has always seemed to be perceived. This is due to the fact we only focused on minecraft at one stage as it was doing so well. 

Either way, I want to get fully into other things and bring JR back to where it should be. I will as I said write a bigger post later today or tomorrow when I'm not so tired and finding it hard to type and think. Plus have a load of work to do today.

I'd like to stress though, I'll be doing a staff clean up soon and I want to clean up the site, get articles published everyday and some staff positions will be availble to those who apply via email. More information will be posted soon 

-Jamie, your monkey legion leader

Well, I think a lot of the server's charm has left. The problem I see is that there's barely ever anyone on, and they're not usually the fun people, either. What JR used to be to me was a sense of fun loving Minecraft community that was always welcoming new people. However, most of those people are gone. I think the issue here is getting people to stay. You can only build so many castles before you move on to play other things. If I recall, JR levels was originally used to get people to stay, (Talking about the RP server) because it gave them a sense of accomplishment. Don't remember why we stopped using it, but I know that now mcMMO is implemented to try to do a similar thing. The thing is though, is that if you come late to the game, someone will always trump you. There's going to be someone who's played longer so they have higher points, and no matter how hard you work, they're working just as hard to make sure you don't catch up, making you sit there and say, "What's the point?" We might need a new system, one that can't be manipulated by who's been playing longer. What it'll be, I'm not sure. I'm only putting it out on the table. Just try your best to improve things around here, and it'll show.

I agree with you 150%

i agree with you too :P

Well all the servers people have gone, and to be honest the server is dying quite quickly. I don't know what to improve but if we can manage to get a player amount increase that would be great and there will be a higher "community response" but I don't know how to do that, but im guessing its possible. Where did the JR population go to?!

His GitHub account was wiped so we did not have access to the pull request with updated code for the repository. Its not that nobody could make sense of the code. It was fully understandable when I glanced at it in the past :).

I think we need to start from scratch dedicating our time to one single server. As running the amount we have is just to much work. We can still leave the old stuff there just work on one server at a time and no rushing it. Plan it out and do it right. I'm thinking to start with RPG and work on it from the ground up.

"The thing is though, is that if you come late to the game, someone will always trump you. There's going to be someone who's played longer so they have higher points, and no matter how hard you work, they're working just as hard to make sure you don't catch up,"

Theres nothing wrong with a bit of competition on a server, if everyone remained on the same level with no advantage over one another whether it be a level or what, it would just get boring.

what do you think you guys?

Reason why I say the above is. Any time I come online on the server or to do maintenance most of the servers are empty. Something seriously needs to be done and planned out right. Not throwing it out there like we did in the past. I have been on some major servers and the amount of planning they must have done must have took months, even longer. But the experience it brings is something else and hence why they get so much players. You plan it out right, give players an experience they cannot get elsewhere, and give them a reason to want to come back, it will be successful. Otherwise we are just wasting our time.

Agreed, and yeah I hope RPG stays because it seems to be the main server, or RPG and Creative since those 2 are the main ones. others are more or less derelict.

Staff not considering resolutions or aspect ratios of images when posting articles.The images should all fit 6:9 in my mind as that is the greatest used aspect ratio currently. I hate it when something looks off of my main screen due to it's aspect ratio and makes me die a little inside seeing a stretched image. Where as on my 4:3 monitor I couldn't care less xD  

I'd also like to see staff members post more articles in a nice format, yourself and kyle seemed to be doing a great job.

I agree with this. We do need a staff wipe and I'd be hoping that Frosty would go through all the staff team for me to help me make decisions on who will stay and who won't stay.

Also the new ranks I'd like to use, instead of the amount of different moderating ranks we have. For the entire website, servers the staff ranks will be simply:

- Owner
- Senior Staff
- Staff
- Community Helpers

Senior Staff have already being chosen. I'd like to mention at this point this isn't factoring JRTX at the current time.

Senior Staff are: 

- Liam Carson, also known as Frosty. Head of staff management and socialization.
- Kyle, also known as K4. Head of article management.
- Chris, head of forum management along side me and frank.
- Leslee (Barbermiss) and Robert are together heads of community support.
- Frank, also known as TeozFrank is head of Minecraft development, and with me website design and development.
- William, is head of moderation around the website, including writing tutorials or a wiki about certain features around JR.

All senior staff are expected to be around the website at least once every two days. That includes me with my busy life style.

While member ranks will turn in to this:

- Validating
- Gold Star

Validating is the rank where you have to validate your email account. Member is a standard member, while gold star is a VIP rank that you can buy with a small donation.

This is an idea I'd love to trial. I think though we need to get a much more substantial plan with the entire community.

All ideas and changes will be run through a community vote from now on. This will ensure that the community wants a certain feature, item.  

I want to start to do more servers and services of our own without the aid of JRTX. I also want to review and redesign the entire website and we will draw up some photoshop plans and post them on the website within the next couple of weeks :)

I'd also like to see staff members post more articles in a nice format, yourself and kyle seemed to be doing a great job.

I agree, we need to setup a plan together with members and staff members on a forum that would benifit everyone. For starters I think we should look at the categories.

I agree with this. We do need a staff wipe and I'd be hoping that Frosty would go through all the staff team for me to help me make decisions on who will stay and who won't stay.

Also the new ranks I'd like to use, instead of the amount of different moderating ranks we have. For the entire website, servers the staff ranks will be simply:

- Owner
- Senior Staff
- Staff
- Community Helpers

Senior Staff have already being chosen. I'd like to mention at this point this isn't factoring JRTX at the current time.

Senior Staff are: 

- Liam Carson, also known as Frosty. Head of staff management and socialization.
- Kyle, also known as K4. Head of article management.
- Chris, head of forum management along side me and frank.
- Leslee (Barbermiss) and Robert are together heads of community support.
- Frank, also known as TeozFrank is head of Minecraft development, and with me website design and development.
- William, is head of moderation around the website, including writing tutorials or a wiki about certain features around JR.

All senior staff are expected to be around the website at least once every two days. That includes me with my busy life style.

While member ranks will turn in to this:

- Validating
- Gold Star

Validating is the rank where you have to validate your email account. Member is a standard member, while gold star is a VIP rank that you can buy with a small donation.

This is an idea I'd love to trial. I think though we need to get a much more substantial plan with the entire community.

All ideas and changes will be run through a community vote from now on. This will ensure that the community wants a certain feature, item.  

I want to start to do more servers and services of our own without the aid of JRTX. I also want to review and redesign the entire website and we will draw up some photoshop plans and post them on the website within the next couple of weeks :)

I think more than one payed rank would be better :)

maybe:

• Bronze Star
  • Silver Star
  • Gold Star

or even have lets say like 5-10 different ranks. each increases with more permissions and features and they are permenant once you buy them. Iv seen that on servers where you pay once and keep the rank, and players can choose to upgrade if they like which seems to work well. Instead of a fixed fee every month.

What do you think?

prices can start at 5$ and go up to 200$+ if done right.

I think more than one payed rank would be better :)

maybe:

• Bronze Star
  • Silver Star
  • Gold Star

or even have lets say like 5-10 different ranks. each increases with more permissions and features and they are permenant once you buy them. Iv seen that on servers where you pay once and keep the rank, and players can choose to upgrade if they like which seems to work well. Instead of a fixed fee every month.

What do you think?

prices can start at 5$ and go up to 200$+ if done right.

But we want to make this simple no? Whats the point of several different ranks? As we don't want to be having tons. Especially because we want to move away just being minecraft based.

But we want to make this simple no? Whats the point of several different ranks? As we don't want to be having tons. Especially because we want to move away just being minecraft based.

bronze silver and gold membership then? thats simple xD.

I think that more work is needed on the minecraft server because I can see lots of coming soon signs around the spawn and nothing is happening. E.G the admin shop.

I know that staff are busy and i respect that but perhaps there could be a build event where trusted players can help develop the spawn and other areas.

I think that more work is needed on the minecraft server because I can see lots of coming soon signs around the spawn and nothing is happening. E.G the admin shop.

I know that staff are busy and i respect that but perhaps there could be a build event where trusted players can help develop the spawn and other areas.

The servers are going to have to be redone from scratch and planned out Jamie, this is not final but I think its whats needed. One server and do it right. Adding an admin shop wont improve the server, more needs to be done.