JR Network
SwitchShotJolt1

Algebra 2

So next quarter I am going to be in Algebra 2, does anyone have any advice for what I can be looking forward to? Like what is Algebra 2 about what do you spend most time on? What is the hardest part? What should I pay attention to the most?

Thank you if you do want to help out. :)

Really Algebra 2 isn't anything too hard. It's basically just more Algebra 1. As long as you remember how to find X you should be fine.

I'm taking algebra II right now. Most of the aspects we are leaning now are focused on functions. It get's really interesting when you graph absolute value functions.

The UK structure there maths courses slightly different to US, but ik functions this year have bored me :P Although there is a really cool equation called the batman equation that uses absolute functions to create the batman symbol which is very cool :P 

tumblr_lp60o8CfgN1r0o9tbo1_500.jpg

If you do complex numbers they can be fun... depends how deep you dive into them, they can be a real pain in the **** too :P 

@Alex, complex numbers or the batman equation? If it's the batman equation I'm 99.9999999% sure they wouldn't make high school students even look at that :P Just something I discovered that looked cool :P

I've only started graphing absolute value functions, so I'm sure I'll get to complex numbers soon. And yeah I don't think the batman equation I'm anywhere close to as of now lol.

Algebra 2 should be quite easy. Just keep track of variables and do not skip any steps [even the simple ones] because as you continue to move up the 'math ladder' the steps get longer and longer and if you skip a step but make a simple sign change on accident, it may be hard to find. [happens to me quite often, sadly, when using excel to calculate all sorts of stuff lol]

The other thing I would recommend is not getting a fancy Ti-89 till later. They are very powerful and can make one quite lazy; thus, not truly being able to do the equations by hand without getting confused or on ones that require tedious entering on the Ti-89.

One thing i have gotten into from college is using for example. exp(eqn), abs(eqn) instead of using e^eqn and the bars around the eqn for exponential and absolute, respectively.

Other than that, study and work ahead!

Good luck!

So can anyone help with piecewise functions? and how to graph them? I am in Algebra 2 now and so far thats probably been the most difficult thing for me. right now im kinda dealing with imaginary numbers. 

Can you give an example of a question? Tbh, never heard of a piecewise function but there are many thing that I don't know the name of that I use :P

So can anyone help with piecewise functions? and how to graph them? I am in Algebra 2 now and so far thats probably been the most difficult thing for me. right now im kinda dealing with imaginary numbers. 

Piecewise functions look intimidating but in actuality are not too bad.

Here's one fairly simple example: 

x2 if   x(</=)-1

y= {   x    if   -1<x<1

4x  if   x(>/=)1

So what this says is that while graphing from negative infinity to negative one, you draw the graph of X2, then from -1 to 1 you draw the graph of X (this does not include the points -1 and 1 because it isn't a less/greater than or equal to sign on these), then from 1 to infinity you draw the graph of 4x.

(I'd post a sketch but I can't find a site to make one.)

You can try this yourself though, if you are using a TI-84 (that's what I'm using currently) follow these steps to input a Piecewise function.

1. Go to Y=

2. Type (x2)(x</=)-1)+(x)(-1<x<1)+(4x)(1</=x) in any of the Ynumber spots

3. In order to access the <, >, >/= or </= you have to hit 2nd then hit Math (should be right below Alpha which is below 2nd) Then input the symbols where ever needed.

Remember when I type out >/= or </= that isn't what it looks like on the calculator. On the calculator it will be the less than or greater than right above the equal sign.

Imaginary numbers are another story. To tell you the truth they have no real use in my math time (I'm in Calculus and have yet to see it.)

But the important thing to remember with imaginary numbers is that i=sqrt(-1)

So whenever you have the square root of a negative number, you can just pull out the i which represents an imaginary number.

The other thing with i is that i= -1. The reason that is is because since i=sqrt(-1) So the sqrt(-1)

i3 would be -i because this is sqrt(-1)as that equal -1*sqrt(-1)

Whenever it is to the power of 4 (such as ior i8) that just equals one.

Past there it becomes pretty redundant. Just remove all multiples of four. 

So if you are at i122 think of this as i(4*30)+2 and then take out the 4*30 so this is equal to i2.

Good luck man :)

I just finished polynomial factorization and functions. Currently moving on to Radical Functions and Rational Exponents before I move into logarithms. I have no idea what logarithms are at the moment and the only experience I have with them is using them to calculate the orders of reactions in Chemistry using the Ti-84. I'm looking forward to learning them, however.

I just finished polynomial factorization and functions. Currently moving on to Radical Functions and Rational Exponents before I move into logarithms. I have no idea what logarithms are at the moment and the only experience I have with them is using them to calculate the orders of reactions in Chemistry using the Ti-84. I'm looking forward to learning them, however.

Well one trick I learned is

Log(base)Answer=Exponent

So let's do

Log10100=2

So

102=100

Those two things basically are saying the same thing.

Well one trick I learned is

Log(base)Answer=Exponent

So let's do

Log10100=2

So

102=100

Those two things basically are saying the same thing.

I think I did something similar to that with Natural Logs in Chem

2x = 8

Ln 8/Ln2 = 3

And 23 = 8

When you take a natural logarithm of an exponential, that exponential gets pulled in front of the LN(). [some natural properties of exp and ln's, you should learn these in class when you cover them] Also note the ln will cancel out exp, and exp will cancel out ln functions.

So:

2x=8 (take ln of both sides):

x ln(2) = ln(8) (divide over to solve for x)

x = ln(8) / ln(2)

The other thing to note with log, ln, exp, and other functions (some you may have to make) is that when graphing data with complex curves; you can apply these functions to the data sets to linearize it.