Mecmax

Camera/Projector programming Visual art idea and help

Hey guys,

I need help with what programming language or program I should use to create this project. It's for an art exhibition I'll have soon, exhibiting my art. The idea behind this project is that there would be a projector projecting on the floor in the exhibition, with a camera set up next to it. The camera would take images, maybe every ten seconds or so, and would go through a computer, perhaps a raspberry pi, which would compute the image and send it to the projector to project.

The images taken would overlay so that when a person walks, there are images of them layered over each other. I know basic java, python, photoshop, and I'd love to learn more programming.

Do you guys have any ideas of how I can create this?

Thanks a lot :)

idea sketch.png

That sounds like a really cool idea. I'd say your best bet would be Rasberry Pi, especially if you already know a bit of python because there is loads of stuff online for the rasberry pi that uses python. Unfortunately I've never owned a Rasberry Pi so can't really give much help from experience. This might be useful for your project though https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/camera/python/README.md . As for sending it to the projector, idk what would work best for that or how you'd do that. I'll let you know if I find anything of use though, it's really late here so I'm gonna go sleep... 

Would be really cool to see something like this finished, sounds like it could work really well.

Yup, I thought of that! I think it could help me a lot. I will definitely look into using a camera and projector with the raspberry pi, I don't think it can be that difficult. 

However, the real question I had was for a real-time, live manipulation of photos, which would create the projected photo real-time.

Thanks Kyle ;)

Had a feeling that'd be the bit you were struggling with... It shouldn't be too hard to find some sort of library that is able to edit images in python, the most difficult bit sounds like it might be finding something that will display it in real time.