Sign in to follow this  
Jamie

Your New Build / Laptop

So I recently got a new laptop, The Star Wars Laptop from HP, Great little machine but it has a slow Toshiba HDD,

The specs are:

• Intel i5-6200U
  • nVidia GTX 940M
  • 6 GB DDR3
  • 1 TB HDD

I'l be upgrading the RAM and swapping the HDD out for a SSD soon for better speed and power consumption :)

What have you guys built, bought and are you going to upgrade it ??

9021f1b6676e1e118b0c52449f1c8562.jpg

My computer is pretty much the same as it was when I first got it about 3 years ago. 

I've been really bad for keeping it up to date tbh. The only upgrades I've made are to the PSU (on the basis the other one probably would have exploded or something if I didn't) and I added another 1tb hard drive because I ran out of space. If I get a job again I might consider finally upgrading it, but even when I had a job before I always found ways to spend the money elsewhere and never spent much on my computer. Idk, one day I'll upgrade it, who knows when that'll be.

On 20/02/2016 at 8:20 PM, Kyle said:

My computer is pretty much the same as it was when I first got it about 3 years ago. 

I've been really bad for keeping it up to date tbh. The only upgrades I've made are to the PSU (on the basis the other one probably would have exploded or something if I didn't) and I added another 1tb hard drive because I ran out of space. If I get a job again I might consider finally upgrading it, but even when I had a job before I always found ways to spend the money elsewhere and never spent much on my computer. Idk, one day I'll upgrade it, who knows when that'll be.

It's funny that I helped with a lot of your build by the sound of things :P

My desktop has changed a fair bit since I built it, my most recent additions being 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, and an extra 8GB RAM so my spec currently stands at:

• Fx-8350 @ 4Ghz
  • 16GB RAM @ 1866 Mhz
  • ASUS Strix GTX 970 4GB
  • Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 Evo (Boot Drive), Sandisk 240GB SSD (Games Drive), 1TB Seagate (Files Drive), 1TB WD Blue (Media Drive)
  • Corsair Carbide 300R
  • H100i Water Cooler
  • 1440p IPS monitor
  • The rest is the same from when I built this a few years ago

As for my laptop that I've had since the start of the most recent academic year the spec stands at:

• Dell Inspiron 5558
  • i7-5500U @ 2.4Ghz
  • 16GB RAM @ 1600Mhz
  • GTX920M (it's for school but can game on it if I want)
  • 2TB HDD
  • 1080p screen (the influencing factor)

Well, since my Star Wars laptop broke down, I've since upgraded to a Acer Aspire V15 Nitro. 

NH_fzkk-2j.G7REK.004.jpg?fit=fill&bg=0FF

And I must say, what a laptop. GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD and 128 GB SSD. Also has an i5-6300 HQ. For the price I got it was a solid purchase. A lot of people that reviewed this unit said that the rubberised chassis picks up finger prints. I have yet had that issue and the finish is actually rather nice.

I was able to get a solid 60 fps on crysis 2 with extreme settings.

Anyone else get any new kit?

I got a new laptop a few months back, and it's really doing me well! It's a Lenovo ideapad Y700, with very similar specs to your's. It's got the same graphics card, 16GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 128 SDD, and an intel i7. On top of that, the cooling seems very on-point, a brilliant 4K resolution and wonderful built-in speakers. And after having a short, traumatic experience with Windows 8.1, I was very happy to find out that Windows 10 is much nicer (although there are already some things I hate about it compared to Windows 7 :P ).

This is how the pc looks:

Lenovo-ideapad-Y700-2-549x501.jpg

It weighs a ton though, so I'm thinking through options for a portable, possibly unimaginably cheap laptop to bring to classes (coputer science classes). But for everything else, it's really great.

Sign in to follow this