Sign in to follow this  
Flaw

Birthdays today

Birthdays today  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get a 'birthdays today' section?

• Yes, in the sidebar
    • Yes, in the footer
    • No

Was going through some old posts, found out we used to wish people on their birthdays on the forum but we don't know anymore, if there's a birthday on a given day. I think we should have a sidebar or a footer widget for Birthdays Today. :)

I like the idea in one respect, in another i hate the idea. The reason for this is we have so much going on within JR, having a place for Birthdays just adds more text on a page, which also includes additional load times, a place for birthdays around the site. Maybe if we just had an automated forum for it or something at the bottom of the site on the main page either main of forum or main of site.

I was thinking about extra text too - but I don't know how to solve that. I think the birthday posts made people like JR more because they got wishes from a lot of people!

At the same time, with the number of people now, there'd be 30 birthdays every day - so I'm not sure.

Yeah, I think that's a good compromise. If you have more than 10-15 posts on the forum, you show up on the birthday widget. Or should it be more posts than that?

I think that's enough to eliminate spam/resting accounts.

2 hours ago, Flaw said:

Yeah, I think that's a good compromise. If you have more than 10-15 posts on the forum, you show up on the birthday widget. Or should it be more posts than that?

I think that's enough to eliminate spam/resting accounts.

I'll think about it more today and put it in action when I can, Flaw are you on Asana? Would you task me this?

@Jamie @Flaw

What if instead, we have it slightly more like facebook, where you get a notification if one of the people you follow/are friends with has a birthday! This will remove the annoying 20-people-you-don't-know-have-birthdays-today problem that will only lead to us ignoring the birthdays area of the site. 

7 hours ago, Mecmax said:

@Jamie @Flaw

What if instead, we have it slightly more like facebook, where you get a notification if one of the people you follow/are friends with has a birthday! This will remove the annoying 20-people-you-don't-know-have-birthdays-today problem that will only lead to us ignoring the birthdays area of the site. 

I'll see if this is possible, I'm sure if not it could be coded, i don't have the time to custom code this but if not i'll get some people to do it :)

On 4/6/2016 at 7:44 AM, Mecmax said:

@Jamie @Flaw

I think that's a good idea too!