Sign in to follow this  
Jamie

Mobile, What platform are you?

Android, iOS or Windows  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What platform are you?

So recently I got a new phone, I had to, the HTC one M8S I had for a year wasn't cutting it for me for my daily grind and it started to get very slow. A few issues I had with it was:

• For some reason even though I had facebook, snapchat, whatsapp, viber and syncme on the phone it was using up 12 GB of the 16 gb of storage. I had removed all my photos and everything else and it wouldn't budge from the 12 GB mark. Android issue supposedly
  • The processor was slower than the original M8 and was making the phone very laggy
  • Didn't get marshmallow
  • Front camera was useless and the back ultra pixel sensor was not as well built as the original m8

Unfortunatley the original m8 I had went down the toliet.

Now I've changed to a Samsung Galaxy S6 and I must say it's pretty stunning, I got an otterbox for it and it really is something special. 

Battery is good, performance is good and Android makes things really easy :)

On to the topic and enough of my rambling

Do you have a new handset, what platforms have you tried? Don't start a rage war with ios is better or android is better but give some reasons why you maybe dislike the platform etc.

Personally I've always loved iphones. I've only had an android for a short time, but it was much less nice in terms of "contact", where it didn't feel like pushing buttons on a magical screen, instead it had a small delay on every action I made. However, there's tons that's annoying about iphones, so I might try an android or a windows phone in the future. I really do hate macs though, and I've been stuck on one (school-issued) for the last two years (it has had some benefits, though). 

Do you guys get what I mean in terms of usability and "contact", while using a touchscreen? I think apple has made a large effort to make things act smooth, which has really payed off for iphones, in my opinion. I would get an android if I had a guarantee that they were like this (which they might, I just don't know and haven't looked into it).

iPhones cost in India as much as a moderate/high performance laptop does. I bought my laptop for around 50k, and the latest iPhone sells for 60k+. The telecoms tried the contracts here but people just didn't catch up to it. Everyone buys it unlocked.

Have had Moto G1 and G3 over the past 3-4 years, and have loved it. No reason to complain. I don't believe in spending huge chunks of money on a phone, so 10-15k INR is good enough for me. G1 had a bottleneck of 1 GB RAM but with 2 GB on the G3, Android works smooth. They've really started to mature since Android 5.0 so things are only looking better and better from here. I do wish Google had made this effort from the start, but might as well do it now than never.

Infact, I am not even averse to Windows Phone at some point in the future if I keep Windows 10 on my laptop... but if I somehow end up buying my Macbook a couple of years from now, I'll stick with Android. :P 

I think the most important thing today is synergy. Windows Phone - Windows 10 laptop. Chromebook - Android. iPhone - Mac.

Personally I'm an android user. I don't mind iPhones and I don't think they're a bad product but I do prefer android. I'm using an S6 atm but with the Google now launcher (which imo is 1000% better than the default samsung one) and it runs really well. Only complaint really is it forgets how I set up my Google now launcher whenever I switch it to ultra power saving. Ultra power saving is useful but it's annoying that it resets the Google now launcher. 

I think the latest android and apple phones are pretty much equal tbh in terms of their software. I personally prefer the android software but I could live with an iPhone - I just hate apple so would never buy one out of principle :P What apple does well though is they build every single phone to a good quality so they get a really good name for themselves.

I have to say though battery is getting so good recently. My S6 has excellent battery compared to my past phones and if I used ultra power saving mode it could literally last days. I do wish I had an S7 though, the waterproof element would be so useful for me :P I've managed to water damage my S6 once already and had to get it replaced... 

On 10/05/2016 at 7:14 PM, Jamie said:

Why ? What's wrong with updating or installing them? Knox?

Didn't care about Knox one bit :P The process seems unnecessarily complicated after coming from a Nexus which just involved flashing roms through adb. Where as using Odin & then having to get special versions of recoverys and boot loaders just to make the phone boot is just annoying 

12 hours ago, Kyle said:

My S6 has excellent battery

Lies! The S6 has a terrible battery, I've killed it in about 3 hours by using tasker with location enabled :/ I carry around a 'portable' battery bank, which kinda works. I managed to damage 2 out of the 3 USB ports on it

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Lies! The S6 has a terrible battery, I've killed it in about 3 hours by using tasker with location enabled :/ I carry around a 'portable' battery bank, which kinda works. I managed to damage 2 out of the 3 USB ports on it

For what I use my phone for it's always been quite good for me, plus the fast charging helps a lot if it is running low and I need to go out somewhere.

6 hours ago, Chris said:

Why you using Tasker? And why do you have location enabled all the time? The S6 has a pretty good battery as well in my opinion. Did you flash a different bootloader that may be better on battery? 

21 hours ago, Jamie said:

Why you using Tasker? And why do you have location enabled all the time?

Tasker because it's handy for automating stuff, as for location it's something I haven't really bothered to turn off. However when utilizing location based profiles in tasker it seems to constantly update your location :/ 

18 hours ago, Chris said:

Tasker because it's handy for automating stuff, as for location it's something I haven't really bothered to turn off. However when utilizing location based profiles in tasker it seems to constantly update your location :/ 

Automating what though ? What do you need to do automatically on your phone? Lol :P

1 minute ago, Jamie said:

Automating what though ? What do you need to do automatically on your phone? Lol :P

I currently have it set up for a night time profile that will activate between 8pm & 8am, it runs my task called "Night" which currently changes do not disturb to alarms only, starts twilight and sets my phone to vibrate only.

I also have 2 profiles for during the day based upon my location, "Home" which runs my normal "Day" task, which stops twilight, turns on my Wifi and sets the ringer volume to 10. Then I have "School" which runs my "School Day" task which stops twilight, turns off do not disturb, sets my phone to vibrate only and turns off the wifi. 

Having the profiles during the day based on location as opposed to time makes life easier as I'm not in school for the same amount of time each day. This also means I don't have to worry about toggling between silent mode & toggling wifi

20 minutes ago, Chris said:

I currently have it set up for a night time profile that will activate between 8pm & 8am, it runs my task called "Night" which currently changes do not disturb to alarms only, starts twilight and sets my phone to vibrate only.

I also have 2 profiles for during the day based upon my location, "Home" which runs my normal "Day" task, which stops twilight, turns on my Wifi and sets the ringer volume to 10. Then I have "School" which runs my "School Day" task which stops twilight, turns off do not disturb, sets my phone to vibrate only and turns off the wifi. 

Having the profiles during the day based on location as opposed to time makes life easier as I'm not in school for the same amount of time each day. This also means I don't have to worry about toggling between silent mode & toggling wifi

You're going to make me do this, aren't you...

*sneaks out to the Play ground store*

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Greenpower Premium does this very well, I have it and I use it. (y)

9 hours ago, Chris said:

This is amazing :o This is an example of something I'd expect an iphone can't do.. :P 

I have currently two mobile phones, one Nokia Lumia of which has Windows, even with a developer account the OS is very closed and the lack of customization upsetting when compared to my old HTC one mini w/ android. 

I am currently in the same boat that my HTC has slow down immensely which has become tiresome. I think it is time I get a custom ROM of android or move to try out another linux distro for the phone. 

Phone manufactures have been known to purposely slow down phones after a period of time ( independent of hardware heath ) to make end users upgrade there phones to the latest and greatest, which is good business for them but crap for us.

My Lumia has yet to slow down as it is as quick today as I got it off the shelf, so in a way that is a positive for both Nokia and Windows right now  but it is ashame that Android does this.

I've been playing around with tasker and now have it set so when I plug in my earphones it opens spotify and sets the media volume to 10. May have also overcome my location problem by turning off location when the display is off, real test will be tomorrow. Also modified my night time profile so after 10pm the screen brightness decreases. It's a handy thing to have and I've barely scratched the surface as far as I'm aware :)

I also believe that with root access tasker can reboot your device 

5 hours ago, Chris said:

I've been playing around with tasker and now have it set so when I plug in my earphones it opens spotify and sets the media volume to 10. May have also overcome my location problem by turning off location when the display is off, real test will be tomorrow. Also modified my night time profile so after 10pm the screen brightness decreases. It's a handy thing to have and I've barely scratched the surface as far as I'm aware :)

I also believe that with root access tasker can reboot your device 

I'd still use greenpower premium for the night mode and use tasker for the other things and it might save you battery too!

Sign in to follow this