Sign in to follow this  
Flaw

Ghost.org quick review

I've been on the hunt for a free, simple blogging platform. WordPress is great but it's too bloated for a blog. I would have loved running Medium except if they gave me control of the source files. The closest alternative then was Ghost.org

I just tried it out and even 3 years since launch, there are glaring pitfalls.

No in-built comments system
What the f***? The most popular option is Disqus, but no, I don't want to use something as open as Disqus.

No plugins
For an extremely bare-bones and lightweight blogging platform, extensibility has to be top of the list.

Analytics
Nada. Again, in 2016, even the most basic blogs need analytics to grow. How is this not a thing yet? Google Analytics is an option but who wants to go full-blown on this? A simple blogging platform should come with a simple and easy to use analytics.

An alternative editor should be added
Markdown doesn't support underline.
Image addition is simple using MD, but you have to host it elsewhere. No drag-and-drop. No media library. Thumbs down. It gets awkward writing in a split screen. A WYSIWYG editor with a single screen can work wonders. Especially one built just for Ghost. Inhouse.

Infinite scroll
How can a blogging platform in 2016 lack this? It's amazing for reader-experience.

Of the drawback I mentioned, analytics and extensibility are in the works, but we don't know when they'll be available to us. Huge disappointment, would still love to use Ghost a year down the line when it's more polished. It has some great features like site-wide password protection, team management, and some great free minimal/clean themes. It's very fast, free to modify and use (ofcourse with credit), and can work on a $5/month DigitalOcean VPS.

1 hour ago, Flaw said:

I need an independent platform since I plan to host my development blog + portfolio soon. :P

So Ghost or whatever I eventually like becomes the blog part of my professional website.

Why don't you just a script and host on JR's server? I don't mind giving you the space.

7 hours ago, Jamie said:

What about JR's blogging system? I'm trying to update it and more friendly to users. It's getting more and more extendibility :) Just a thought :P

I was thinking this! :P  I post my blogs here, and even if I get 3 views per post nowadays, I have something like 100 000 total views on one of my blogs, and I'm just not sure how.. XD

3 hours ago, Mecmax said:

I was thinking this! :P  I post my blogs here, and even if I get 3 views per post nowadays, I have something like 100 000 total views on one of my blogs, and I'm just not sure how.. XD

That is due to JR's index in google. All the blogs are included too , so if you have something relevant that someone searches it'll come up :)

11 hours ago, Jamie said:

Why don't you just a script and host on JR's server? I don't mind giving you the space.

Sure. I'll take you up on that next year. Until then, I'm going to learn some security and server-side configuration and optimization on this cheap box (DigitalOcean, that is). :P

By the way, will I be able to run Node on JR's server? I am presuming you're saying you'll give me a set limit on storage, bandwidth, RAM and CPU usage?

Already in the 18 hours my server has been up, 17 IP addresses have tried to login via ssh and have been banned. Checked the authentication logs to make sure no one got in. Now wondering what else I should tighten so these bots/people eventually don't break in. It's kinda exciting. :D

Just a little update - they're rolling out email subscriptions pretty soon (you can collect email address currently, email-sending will probably be introduced very soon), as well as work on plugins (or 'apps') has begun. It already has Slack integration. I'm dumping the mammoth that WordPress is in favor of blogging-focused Ghost. :)

Sign in to follow this