Jamie

Worst Gaming Franchise Screwups?

So guys, tell me what is the most annoying/biggest/soul destroying screwups that have happened in a gaming franchise.

I'll start this off. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5..

All I can say is wow..... They gone dang screwed themselves up... :/ 

I remember tony hawks from a young age, playing on PS1, but this is nothing like it. Look at the game footage on youtube and you will understand my reasoning.

This might seem either strange or obvious, but I think Call of Duty definitely is a screwed-up franchise now. It was all the rage back with Modern Warfare one and two, and with World at War, but those were its glory days. I honestly think the developers should get out of the over-repetitive shooter Call of Duty is, and come up with something more original. For example, my friends and I play COD Black Ops (one) very often, but just on Zombies, since we find that super fun. A game that would only have Zombies, or something along the lines of a "different" Call of Duty would create a lot more interest in the franchise, possibly rebooting it. 

I really love what Battlefield is doing.

I think FIFA is going on the same lines as Call of Duty, but I don't know enough about it since I don't play it.

2 hours ago, Mecmax said:

This might seem either strange or obvious, but I think Call of Duty definitely is a screwed-up franchise now. It was all the rage back with Modern Warfare one and two, and with World at War, but those were its glory days. I honestly think the developers should get out of the over-repetitive shooter Call of Duty is, and come up with something more original. For example, my friends and I play COD Black Ops (one) very often, but just on Zombies, since we find that super fun. A game that would only have Zombies, or something along the lines of a "different" Call of Duty would create a lot more interest in the franchise, possibly rebooting it. 

I really love what Battlefield is doing.

I think FIFA is going on the same lines as Call of Duty, but I don't know enough about it since I don't play it.

FIFA, I never play, but from what I see it's the same thing. But in fairness I don't see them being able to do much more to change the game. As for call of duty, I totally agree. Modern warefare 1 + 2 where brilliant. Advanced warefare felt a bit haloish. But as a whole I'm not into COD any more.

12 hours ago, SpencerCain said:

I don't think Duke Nukem forever is the antichrist game it's held up to be, but it's definitely done something bad to the franchise as a whole.

As for duke nukem, psss.... It was a horrible update of a game which should have just died and be left as something of a legend.

I think I'd probably have to say Assassins Creed. It really peaked with Brotherhood I think but since then it's got worse. I did like Black Flag but beyond Unity I stopped playing - although a large part of that was due to it becoming unplayable and super laggy on my computer. Didn't really want to play the later ones because I imagine it's very much the same. Maybe once I upgrade my computer, I will.

5 hours ago, Mecmax said:

Yeah I agree - it just seems like they're making the same game again and again. They may as well just start releasing them as DLC's for older games because they aren't ever much different. Zombies is still good though - they did do a really good job in black ops with zombies imo.

Fallout 4, shitty game engine, shitty DLC, left to the community to fix the majority of the issues with the game. Bethesda have just been getting worse and worse, not to mention opening up modding to the console community and now PC only mods are being stolen and they don't seem to be giving many fucks about that.

CD Projekt Red on the other hand, can't really say a bad word against them. Witcher 3 is the last Witcher game, they've quit while they're on top, trying to top the Witcher 3 would be extremely hard so they're not gonna do it. Expecting Cyberpunk 2077 to have some Witcher references in it

Just thought I'd pitch in with a comment on FIFA since that seems to be mentioned here.

The main component of FIFA is FUT (FIFA Ultimate Team), where people buy and sell players and make a team around them and then compete with others. It also has micro-transactions which is a real money game for the developers and EA. All other game modes are more or less ignored.

Usually, it seems they glorify one or two aspect every year and move in that direction. Over the year, the game has become a lot more realistic, but I don't think they have much scope left in terms of further development. Obviously, they can still always push out smaller features and glorify them - which works for their target audience because of the pay-to-win model in FUT.

So, FIFA is very unlikely to see any real development because the devs know the game will sell every year (monopoly with licenses) and that kids will keep paying them money to try and win. Trust me, people waste tonnes of money on this. Tonnes! 

8 hours ago, Flaw said:

Just thought I'd pitch in with a comment on FIFA since that seems to be mentioned here.

The main component of FIFA is FUT (FIFA Ultimate Team), where people buy and sell players and make a team around them and then compete with others. It also has micro-transactions which is a real money game for the developers and EA. All other game modes are more or less ignored.

Usually, it seems they glorify one or two aspect every year and move in that direction. Over the year, the game has become a lot more realistic, but I don't think they have much scope left in terms of further development. Obviously, they can still always push out smaller features and glorify them - which works for their target audience because of the pay-to-win model in FUT.

So, FIFA is very unlikely to see any real development because the devs know the game will sell every year (monopoly with licenses) and that kids will keep paying them money to try and win. Trust me, people waste tonnes of money on this. Tonnes! 

This is one thing that has got me about Fifa, you pay full price for a game then it has full on microtransactions too??? It's not even like the microtransactions that EA force on DICE games which are just unlocking gear early

5 hours ago, Chris said:

This is one thing that has got me about Fifa, you pay full price for a game then it has full on microtransactions too??? It's not even like the microtransactions that EA force on DICE games which are just unlocking gear early

Yep, unbearably stupid. I played FUT maybe for a couple of months once in the last 4 years. I get why people love it, but I don't want to play an already buggy game with more annoyances in FUT.

If you don't want to work hard and take the long route, you simply pay some money and buy your way in. Still, at least, nothing is going to help you if you're just a terrible player...

On 6/11/2016 at 11:54 AM, Flaw said:

If you don't want to work hard and take the long route, you simply pay some money and buy your way in. Still, at least, nothing is going to help you if you're just a terrible player...

I really hate this in games... Thankfully, I haven't encountered this type of game in a long time, which I appreciate very much :P I can imagine that MMOs, or other large-scale free games are among the common games that have "in-app purchases" (as I would call them), and I don't currently play games like that. It's honestly fine to pay for a game in my opinion, but with buying for in-game content, the game just becomes unfair to some that don't want to spend. (This is different, however, to things like Premium on JR, or even to membership on something like Runescape, where it's a simple one-time-buy, and you get access to new things, but it's not an increase in game performance or a time-saver, it simply allows for more gameplay.)