Sign in to follow this  
Flaw

Facebook and Messenger

It's no secret the Facebook is a mess on Android - code wise.

It takes more than 6-7 minutes on my Android 6.0 for the app to install, and it quickly takes up 200 MB+ for no reason, besides the 40MB file size of the app itself. That's a quarter gigs. No joke. Then there are have been reports (out of redditors) about the two apps draining about 10-15% battery collectively during the day, as well as general performance slowdown because of how 'needy' the app is or rather, the company behind it.

I was curious if anyone has experienced this. I installed Facebook yesterday and before I even reached home at 3pm today, my battery was already less than 50% (it's usually 60ish% on a normal day).

So I have uninstalled both the apps, will be using something like Tinfoil, Metal or Swipe - as much as I don't like the experience on the web version on Facebook. But I care much more for my battery than I do for Facebook. I will be looking to see what the battery is on an average at 3pm over the next week or so.

I had this problem, I removed everything to do with Facebook and I got around 20% better battery life. I use swipe instead. Metal is crap in my opinion.

The problem I have is facebook will be removing web support for messenger soon to stop apps such as metal and swipe working. I think it's crap :/ What can you do *shrugs* facebook *facepalms*....

I just have messenger installed on my phone as it does not depend on the main app being installed. I'll just browse facebook on chrome on my phone every once in a while, only really use facebook at home minus chat which I use to talk to most people

9 hours ago, Jamie said:

The problem I have is facebook will be removing web support for messenger soon to stop apps such as metal and swipe working. I think it's crap :/ What can you do *shrugs* facebook *facepalms*....

Yep. Forcing down Messenger on our throats. :(

I have nothing against Messenger, except it's a fully-blown chat app when I don't need 90% of its features.

5 hours ago, Chris said:

I'll just browse facebook on chrome on my phone every once in a while

That's what I've done. Made a shortcut to the website on the home screen.

I tried Metal, Tinfoil and Swipe but none of them were good enough for me, but it's not the developers' fault.

4 hours ago, Flaw said:

That's what I've done. Made a shortcut to the website on the home screen.

I tried Metal, Tinfoil and Swipe but none of them were good enough for me, but it's not the developers' fault.

Ever since removing any facebook app apart from Messenger I barely use it any more, generally use reddit more 

Generally, the facebook app doesn't bring much to people anymore, instead of seeing what's happening with our friends around the world (which was its original purpose), the selective algorithms that give you only what you interact with makes it so that I only have Cyanide and Happiness comics, IFL Science articles, and Tech Insider stuff that is interesting, and some status updates from the same three people and my close friend's profile picture updates. It really sucks, since it's really lost its original purpose, and I feel that people who don't realise this change just eat their own thought-droppings, forming huge confirmation bias issues (actually, too much of the internet is like this, more about it in a blog).

I use messenger a ton though, and I find it nice, even if a lot of the features are just memory-occupying fanciness. 

Do metal, or swipe or other apps allow for a real newsfeed, rather than the one facebook selects?

The thing with those wrappers is you can make 'Most Recent' your default feed, rather than the 'top news' Facebook forces on you. Still, it isn't going to help you with news feed sorting improvements itself, because that will still be decided by Facebook based on your interests and interactions.

Sign in to follow this