SpencerCain

Animated Pixel art appreciation thread

These look epic!! You could be designing art for a pixel game! :D 

Do you know any other programs that could be used to make something like this? I love Paint.NET, but I don't know if it would be possible to make animations like this, unless I save multiple images and create a GIF out of them. I'd love to make stuff like this though! Please keep posting your art here <3  

I don't know anything else that works quite as smoothly, I've tried some dedicated pixel art software but it doesn't work quite as well for me.

I haven't done anything today but here's some screenshots for one of the two I posted for anyone curious how I make them specifically.

First, I usually draw everything in paint tool sai, mostly just since it's more comfortable, then I save everything as a psd, then in photoshop I animate everything, most of the time goes into timing the frames, then I increase the size and save it. Yes Yes.

SAI.png

PS.png

There are sites you can use that turn a series of images into gifs, but I've never seen one that doesn't make everything look fuzzy so good luck.

I'll go shop around and see if I can find anything, I think I saw a paid software a while back,i it was designed for rpg maker but I think it could export gifs.

Woah, I had never heard of this smear stuff, it looks amazing! I feel like this knowledge will come in handy some day in my life :P tumblr_me8kzrTDHg1riwl6fo1_500.gif

I looked it up some more, and it kind of reminds me of "motion blur" in video games, which I actually hate usually (the first thing I turn off it a game is lagging). 

Anyways, once my programming skills get good enough, I'll be making pixel-based games, with which I will definitely look forward to making the art of! I've already made a pixel-based zombie survival game on the easy program Scratch, so I have some experience ;) 

Keep posting stuff and making art! It's really awesome.

On 23/07/2016 at 5:49 PM, SpencerCain said:

That gif you posted is from one of the first known uses of heavy, obvious smears in animation(the dover boys), mostly it's used to compensate for low budget since it with smears you need less frames to animate an action.

(Late as hell reply)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, since the smear is really obvious and at that point, unnatural, but it makes for a great example for the technique. I can imagine that it's a good way out of making less frames for an animation ^^

9 hours ago, Mecmax said:

(Late as hell reply)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, since the smear is really obvious and at that point, unnatural, but it makes for a great example for the technique. I can imagine that it's a good way out of making less frames for an animation ^^

it's also a good way of making things feel surreal, 

This isn't a perfect example, but the two segments after the chorus use enough squash and stretch to help towards their fluidity that I think they should be considered.

also- 

here's some simple, not very good things I made
New-Canvas.gifpet.gifgipf.gif

and here's the bare bones of a commission, it's not animated but shhhh

New Canvjkbhklas.jpgNew Canvjkjibhklas.png

@SpencerCain I love the drafts of this pokemon-like game (Pixelated RPG I guess, Pokemon is the only one I've ever played)! I love this kind of drafting for any kind of project. Also, your pixel art still looks like something that could be in an animation or an indie game, it still looks pretty professionally made. 

Also, wtf is that video!!?? It's magical and scary (and awesome, since it's by adult swim).. And I totally get the trippy effect from the motion blur 

yeah, it's for an rpgmaker game, when I actually start the outlines the furniture will be their own sprites. I was taken aback for a second because I'm playing pokemon right now on my ds. 
and thanks, you have no idea how much I've been needing to hear something like that lately xD

3 hours ago, Mecmax said:

Those are awesome. What's a light box? I've never heard of it. 

It's more like a light tray in my case, usually its a transparent or semi transparent cuboid with a strong light source inside, usually used for tracing. I use I when I want to ink something but I value the pencil drawing too much to possibly ruin it if I make a mistake.

42 minutes ago, SpencerCain said:

It's more like a light tray in my case, usually its a transparent or semi transparent cuboid with a strong light source inside, usually used for tracing. I use I when I want to ink something but I value the pencil drawing too much to possibly ruin it if I make a mistake.

Ahh, makes sense. Then do you scan your work, or how do you get it digitalized? I'd imagine you could trace the sketch on a drawing tablet alternatively. And how come the pencil marks still make it through? (They appear on a few of the frames of the animations)

3 minutes ago, Mecmax said:

Ahh, makes sense. Then do you scan your work, or how do you get it digitalized? I'd imagine you could trace the sketch on a drawing tablet alternatively. And how come the pencil marks still make it through? (They appear on a few of the frames of the animations)

I usually scan, since my drawing tablet is smaller than a5