Sign in to follow this  
Mecmax

What do you think of privacy?

So another post raised this question in my head. A lot of people fight to stop the NSA from monitoring your internet activity, or from companies selling your data to each other. This can be considered a violation of privacy, since your internet activity is meant to only be shared by you or with your permission.  

I am quite conflicted on what I think on this topic. A great interview of Edward Snowden (which I could not find now :( ) made me consider taking my privacy more seriously, and ever since I have downloaded the Opera browser, with extra VPN add-ons and such, hoping to make it more difficult for my information to be thrown around. However, I still think of how this actually solves any problems at all. Sometimes, on the other hand, I get ads on youtube that I find great and I understand that they have been specifically targetted towards me. The other extreme is spotify, which tailors playlists to my tastes based on every song I've ever listened to on their service, and it works marvelously. It's a weird dilemma and I don't really know where I stand on it.

What do you guys think? 

Privacy is definitely important, I often find there tends to be a split with people though. Some people will say "if you've got nothing to hide, why does it matter?", I totally get that but I think it doesn't consider the risk of centrally storing private information. It's one thing to be comfortable for law enforcement to have access to personal data, but I don't think anyone would be comfortable if someone with more malicious intent had access to that. If law enforcement has access to data, then there is always a risk that a hacker could discover a weakness in their database and use that to get access to a huge amount of private data. 

In terms of companies having access to private data, I really don't know what my opinion is. On the one I do highly value privacy, but on the other it's so convenient to have stuff suggested to me all the time that I like. You already mentioned Spotify, it's probably the best example for me, I think Spotify knows my music taste better than I do. I guess my main concern is that companies I give my data to are responsible with it. I think also people themselves should be somewhat responsible for what they put online and how well they secure that. If you but everything about you online in some form and use the same bad password everywhere, then of course your data is going to be less safe.

One thing to mention with selling data onto third parties is often it's anonymous data. However that doesn't mean it's impossible to de-anonymise the data. There were some researchers a few years back who had access to anonymous data from a bunch of netflix users about what films they liked, they were able to use the IMDB database to link accounts on IMDB to nextflix account - all that just based on an anonymous list of film ratings. They used a machine learning approach so it wouldn't have been 100% accurate but they were able to link a large amount of the list with a pretty high certainty.

Privacy is something I take very seriously when it comes to JR. I always add modifications that will help with hiding sensitive data etc. I wish we didn't have to be as private as we have to be nowadays but if there was no privacy there would be chaos. Without privacy there is no security.

Good thing about your private data on JR. It will never be sold to other companies, no matter how much they want to pay. 

In regards to facebook and other social networks, somethings you need to keep private from your work life. If work saw some of the stuff I got up to back in the day I wouldn't be where I am :P

Privacy is important, period