JR Network

Hi guys. 

I've been thinking for a while that there's a bunch of mods and people suggesting mods like suicide potion and meat spoiler. I can see that when you're used to that, it's hard to not have, but... Idk, it seems like it would be too easy. Why get suicide potion when you can easily get killed by a dino or jump off a cliff or split meat? I mean, if people really want those mods it's fine but, it just seems like there's getting a lot of mods with already 14(?) mods. I've heard from other ark players that too many mods, causing the servers to lag more. I'm getting a bit concerned, that's why I made this post. Not to be annoying or anything, just wanted to say what has been on my mind for a bit now.

Other changes I'd like to see, was to increase the taming stat. That's pretty much the only thing that bothers me a bit. But what are y'alls thoughts on this? Too many mods or am I paranoid? xD 

"Too many mods" is debatable. Our servers can handle the current setup of mods, otherwise we wouldn't have it on there. We monitor the performance of the servers aswell.

Limitations usually happen on the clientside, while we can host all these mods, some people simply can't run it on their laptops or low end PC's which is understandable, we should find a medium where we find the perfect combo of mods and perforance degradation.

Hence the question mark :D Well, I don't really know so much about that since I'm not a part of the admins. Just talked with my friend about mods and he mentioned the things above which made me make this post. + people bringing up mods that, imo, are a bit too luxurious. 

1 hour ago, Emma said:

Hence the question mark :D Well, I don't really know so much about that since I'm not a part of the admins. Just talked with my friend about mods and he mentioned the things above which made me make this post. + people bringing up mods that, imo, are a bit too luxurious. 

People are lazy and like automation. We will try to make the experience as fluid as possible while also being open to ideas for improvements, if something doesn't work we will be agile and work for new solutions.

1 hour ago, System said:

People are lazy and like automation. We will try to make the experience as fluid as possible while also being open to ideas for improvements, if something doesn't work we will be agile and work for new solutions.

Guess so. But as I said, I was just getting a bit concerned. But if you say the servers can handle it, then I believe you :D I can always choose not to use any of the mods. Just wanted to hear people's opinions about this

But ofcourse @Emma your concern is greatly appreciated within the team and feedback like this is what helps to keep JR a place to come back to for all to enjoy :D

As mentioned if you feel any mods currently used are not important or neccessary then we can create community polls to understand with the input of users which remain and which can be removed so thank you for the input :)

Just on this topic, While ARK is growing my main concern is getting too big too fast. I'm in the process of finding a way to fund another server to host ARK to take away some of the server strain and to give some more resources for our other servers.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

As System said above the server can handle it, and Jamie keeps a stupidly close eye on the server load :)

^ The above is true. I want the best experience everyone can have. It upsets me when a server goes down and I can't sort it right away or it kicks out people or lags.

As a gamer, I know how lag causes upset for us.

If we do reach a point where our servers cause performance degradation I will know pretty quickly and we can take action in the form of removing things, cleaning things, optimising further or moving on another server :D

Thanks for raising your concerns though, they have been noticed and noted.

I agrre with OP, there can be to many mods. And is not the server that is usually the problem. It's the client side that lags down. Mods tend to eat RAM, load times gets way longer, game lags, timeout disconnects.

So people like me, the casual gamer, that does not have the latest in GPU and RAM will get problems.

What I think is important is the choice of mods. I've seen a lot of severs with mods doing more or less the same thing. And as for the meatspoiler. Really redundant since they added the "split all" option in the inventory.

Shin

Agree with Shin...
Im not concern only with the server performance at this point, this amount of mods can easily be heavy on some clients side and mostly is too easy and fast to add a new mod. Above that this realy takes the main idea of the game away becoming not a survival and just a building simulator and dinos collection. Which let me say is something that have impact on all players and the server performance. Better stacks, upgrade station r mods created for hard enviroments as Anunnaki and for lazy people on vanilla (sorry but thats my opnion).

Mod suggestion and Poll:

Would be more fair if for a mod to be added should have a minimun X amount of people voting in its favor cuz most mods had been voted by only -5 people. In the past that was pretty much 50% of the amount of people playing regularly but now a server as Ragnarok has +15 people playing and theres more 5 servers in the cluster. Some people dont keep track on the site for mod suggestions and for that their vote is not taken in account.
Guess a solution for that is increasing the period of the poll so more people can vote. I would say 2-3 weeks. And a minimun amount of votes in favor.

Also a maximum amount of mods is needed or we'll be facing a load of 5 minutes with 35 mods in a near future. If u want a new mod after max out u have to suggest a trade. As simple as that.

We have a great deal of mods already and the life is far easier than vanilla.