Sign in to follow this  
jijiji

Suggestions pack

The reason i suggest here it's just that starmade have more players then servers (or about) at the moment. Here is a lot of polluted good servers to build ships and print their photos for making a painting, but not to play (Warning! Opinion! Probably subjective). You can follow 2 main pathts: don't change anything and get standard build server with average online or make something risky and new that may make a server great or ugly (as i said it's risky).

So the suggestions:

1. New faction mechanics.
    • Reasons:
      1. The reason is that here is no true PVP servers. You can't even attack factions homebase and ships docked and turrets docked and players docked and everything docked to it. When you getting attacked you just can jump to homebase and dock to it. If you can't jump with any reason you just can fly to it and it will take about minute cause most of players don't go far from base with really expensive ships. Here is an action people call "pvp": Two players (or factions) argees duel and they just do it. It's even hard to catch another player and win him if he don't want to fight. All the game is just continious building and mining. I have a lot of resources but playing at old server is pointless for me.
      2. Also here is faction points (FP). They helps factions to PVP, but it's mostly pointless cause servers don't configure it as well or just disable it. Players builds factions, homebases and abandons server. In this case solar system becomes polluted. You won't be able to capture it.
      3. People leave spawn galaxy and play alone in safer place.
    • Suggested solutions: Here is 2 main actions you can do to make it playable:
      1. Make faction home vulnerable, but add some advantages to station if you can. For example:
        • Add new armor block which will be able to place on station only. It should be cheap and massive. It's hp should have 250 hp, resist about 97-99%, AHP about 250 and AHP damage absorb level about 75-95%. (needs to balance, it is possible using game configuration)
        • Remove power softcap for stations (if you can, cause i don't know how).
        • Increase station turret's DPS (if you can).
        • Improve station shield capacity (if you can).
      2. Configure FP. Faction with one player shouldn't be able to capture system (or player will have to be "active" (active players are players who stay online at least 10 minutes every 2 days) in this case inactive players will cause FP loosing. The faction will loose system ownership and it's homebase's invulnerability. So inactive players won't pollute server as it is on other servers). For example:
        • Add faction points loosing for inactive players (1-5 FP/turn). So factions will kick players abandoned this server. Also inactive factions will loose ownership of systems.
        • Configure faction points loosing for death. It should cost about 1-8 hours of game (depends of how much hardcore do you want).
        • Add faction points loosing for offline active players. By default offline active players receives FP, but you it can be changed. Do it only if you want hardcore server. And don't make it more then 1 FP/turn.
        • Allow faction homebase to become vulnerable if faction don't have FP.
        • System's cost should depend on it's distance to spawn sector. So then far system is then more FP it costs per turn. So players will be motivated in capturing central systems. It will cause stress between players, wars, PVP, destruction and making players have fun or whetever feel any emotions in this game (which is hard to have on build server).
        • System's cost should depend on distance between systems. But i am not sure about it. All this suggestions are possible with current game configuration.
        • Mining resource bonus should be 2 in faction system.
  2. New mining mechanics.
    • Reasons:
      1. Mining is fast. I can mine planets by medium sized miners. It takes about 15 minutes of lags. Lags are enough to kill server.
      2. Mining block is cheap. i can make so many blocks in about 5 minutes so they will able to make server lag as hell.
      3. Mining is really fast. We have tonns of resources. Our cargo is very large. Here is just no reason to leave base. We can make ultra large ships (probably more then 20m of mass) and kill server.
    • Suggested solutions:
      1. Most of servers just limit amount of groups of mining blocks for a computed upto 500 (to prevent lags and OP mining). But it's easy to avoid using one  way of:So it is possible to do easimining and making lags.
        • Use multiple computers.
        • Use multiple ships.
      2. Increase mining block cost. At least 1000 or 10000 times. Yes! It's really needed! 100 times increasing will be still easy
      3. Resources currently are like garbage polluting storages. Set capsule refining multiplier to 1-3 (not 5-15 like on other servers). It will add some sort of stress between players and value of resources.
      4. Also you can remove blocks and money from start kit (for hardcore). It will make hard start but not hard game.
  3. Sectors and systems.
    • Reasons:
      1. Sectors are too small. I've played with sector size about 30 km and it's was more fun. Cause when you leave sector you get lag. But then more sector is then more lags it makes.
      2. Speed is too small. It should depend on sector size.
      3. Distance between solar systems is very small. Neightbor systems shouldn't be so close to each other. It's not like in reality. It makes pvp and faction wars less fun.
    • Suggested solutions:
      1. Set sector size a bit more. If you want good fun/lags index it should be 7-20 km (depends on server power and amount of ships. Remember: then less resources people have then less ships then can build then less CPU and memory usage they will use then less lags they will cause. But don't make mining too hard. It's not fun too).
      2. Set speed level enough to allow ships to pass sector in a few minutes (at full speed).
      3. Increase distance between solar systems. At least 1-3. It will decrease amount of systems in a galaxy, will add stress and fun. Some sectors should be empty so it will be a lot easier to find player. Galaxy size should depent on amount of players. It should be overpopulated, not empty! (to make stress and fun)
  4. Here will be addition suggestions. If you want slow down technological development, increase factory's cost. For standard 10 000 times. For advanced 10 000 000 times (yes). It's not so important.
  5. Station should cost at least 100 000 000 (or 1 000 000 000) of credits. It will prevent players from spawning stations. Getting resources with cost 1 000 000 000 of credits is about of 30 minutes up to 4 hours of game (average, depends on server).

What do you think about it?

P.S.

This is just my opinion cause i tired of playing on server without any real movement. Here happens pvp and kills, but you have to waste days or weeks to find it. It's borring.

Also i may add some suggestions if i will decite to.

Interesting post. I think factions would be cool and a interesting concept but it depends if we'd have the time or the man power to code it.

We have a lot going on currently at the moment. Is their any plugins to do what you want us to do. 

I'll look further into starmade modding soon to see what we could accomplish but if we do have to code the mod from scratch it would take a lot of time and then would it be worth it for 10+ users on maybe.  There is a lot to weigh up if it's worth us putting the time and code in.

-Jamie