Robbie

Custom car dashboard

Question

Custom car dashboard I've been working on. Uses a 7" touchscreen and a raspberry PI 3b+. The software behind it is Node.JS + Electron and interfaces with a cars OBD2 port for diagnostic information but right now im using dummy data because haven't quite got it working great atm.

What you think of the UI, any suggestions?

image1 (1).jpeg

picar.png

4 answers to this question

It looks nice :) 

Can you zoom in on the map? I know the sat nav on my Dad's car allows you to change the zoom level on the map. Also how do you enter your destination into the map? Is that on the home page? Provided that you plan for GPS usage as well. 

Providing the diagnostics by default is great, I know my dad has had issues with his car that we couldn't work out what it was without the use of the OBD2 port. E.g. Car says one thing on the dashboard, but it's actually something pretty different because of how encompassing the warnings normally are. 

The homepage uses the map as a background. Shows your general location. Have a specific tab for navigation. Haven't done that part yet as im going to buy a GPS hat for the PI.

Sort of modelling it off of the Tesla dashboard. only much smaller screen would be cool to have a desktop screen though as a dashboard. :)

yeah im ordering a bluetooth OBD2 adapter since i have bluetooth on my Rpi. The only thing im a little concerned about is the wiring of a few things so i can control music from steering wheel. Right now im simulating it. Guess im just going to have dive into it. 

i did add the ability to control music from the dashboard yesterday as a wee widget. just refreshed it a little.picar2.png