ARK Server  

11 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should we reset everything like suggested below?

• Yes, This is a good idea
    • No Way

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/12/18 at 10:12

As you guys know our ARK servers are constantly resetting after reboots.

This seems to be due to a corrupt ARK map and on update / restart it resets the map randomly. I need ideas on how to resolve this issue with you guys, I do not want to reset the map or take off mods but to stop all this happening it may have to be the case. 

The main problem we have is that the map highly revolves around Structures Plus  and Small Resource Stacks. If we remove these mods a lot of structures will be lost and all items will be lost due to the way the small resource stacks works. I have a funny feeling that something is conflicting. I can't diagnose or find this out due to the following:

• ARK has crap linux support
  • All our servers are linux, we can not afford more servers
  • ARK has no logging for linux servers in any way.

I feel that the best plan of action is the following:

• Remove all mods, entirely. 
  • Reset all maps, clean out game save files to ensure nothing corrupted stays
  • Have a huge supply drop for our members that have stayed at JR to compensate. The drop will be the same to ensure that people will start at the same level.
  • Gift 5 dinos to each player that has played on our ARK servers for more than 2 hours (we can check due to our JR Website logs)
  • Add one mod a week to see if it causes a problem, we will only use tried and tested mods with a high rating.

While I have this plan it may or may not take place, I want your view. The community. How would you feel starting again? It would mean that everyone would be able to find new land, it may draw more players on to the server, resources would be once more balanced and we would all be happier with a stable server. I hate that our server is stable all day but then when it updates due to the corruption it resets the map and peoples things get lost and we look like the bad party. 

We want to do the best for you guys at JR. 

If you have any other ideas please let me know, don't be quite. SPEAK UP! I want everyones view as this is a huge decision and while I understand some members will be upset at the thought of loosing everything. It's something I do not want to have to do but I feel that this resetting bug has gone on long enough. We just want our community happy in the long run. 

We can't keep patching over problems, I'm not going to lie, I don't have another solution that I can think of right now, this would 100% sort the issue I'm sure.

Again let me know what you think, please!

For me this reset is not necessary since i dont realy play on ragnarok. As far as i know this is the only server that frequently has problems with resetting. Extinction never has issues so far (luckily!) and the island/aberration are running fairly stable aswell. I cannot speak for Gaia vulcano since i dont play that map.

Although i dont mind restarting every now and then ive spent quite some hours on the game and would not like it where ppl that have been online once a week getting the same start-up boost as someone that has got so much more than them now (before reset).

One other thing i would hate about this is that a server crash after the launch of extinction (the memory issue) caused me to lose my highly/perfectly mutated dinos. Ofcourse this was handled appropriately by JR but fact remains that i have since started breeding them again to see if i can once again get them to perfect mutation stats. Having to start this once again will be a bit of a bore.

Since i have invested alot of time into the JR servers now and do not experience issues i will vote no since i do not feel the rewards after reset make up for the loss.

16 minutes ago, Snowball said:

For me this reset is not necessary since i dont realy play on ragnarok. As far as i know this is the only server that frequently has problems with resetting. Extinction never has issues so far (luckily!) and the island/aberration are running fairly stable aswell. I cannot speak for Gaia vulcano since i dont play that map.

Although i dont mind restarting every now and then ive spent quite some hours on the game and would not like it where ppl that have been online once a week getting the same start-up boost as someone that has got so much more than them now (before reset).

One other thing i would hate about this is that a server crash after the launch of extinction (the memory issue) caused me to lose my highly/perfectly mutated dinos. Ofcourse this was handled appropriately by JR but fact remains that i have since started breeding them again to see if i can once again get them to perfect mutation stats. Having to start this once again will be a bit of a bore.

Since i have invested alot of time into the JR servers now and do not experience issues i will vote no since i do not feel the rewards after reset make up for the loss.

I would say no other servers do it but unfortunately they do. 

So far we have had to revert saves for:

• The Island
  • Ragnarok
  • Gaia
  • Aberration

If we do reset the map, we could help with getting required dinos back.

The problem that I foresee is if we keep it like this:

1. It will  be harder for us to grow as when new players see any issue such as a map revert they leave immediatley
  2. It will wreck our heads (Admins, Owners and Management team) mainly so far we have had to re do the map on different servers nearly every day in the last few weeks
  3. Users will get annoyed at us and leave due to the fact it looks like we are doing nothing to resolve the issue

The fact of the matter is some combination of the mods we have on currently is causing the map to corrupt after a period of time, when a update of mods / server software is completed it seems to wipe the map, or on random times for restarting the server it does this.

It's very hard and annoying to run ARK servers as it is due to the lack of proper linux logging and support and all these map resets is just adding to the long list of headaches we have to deal with while we are attempting to work on a unified platform that rewards our users for playing with JR.

Our main goals at JR are:

• Grow our community (this is hard when servers are failing left right and center)
  • Keep our current and new members happy with what we are doing
  • Build a platform that rewards our members
  • Keep our servers stable and lag free

Problem right now is I do not know how much longer the server can keep reverting to previous saves, it could at any time fully corrupt which has happened last year. I really do not want to upset everyone from a unexpected complete restart due to a corrupt map, I'd prefer it was planned, everyone was happy with the way we are handling it.

Just a note as well, this isn't something I do or take lightly I hate resetting things, I just want everyone to have a far better experience at JR and I want to get JR to grow. Which is impossible with the current state of things

I have also had a look at the mods on the server now and by my opinion this is what they should be ranked as:

Red = known to cause issues
Green = very convenient

image.png.8a3aaba27b4ccb727aa5f2ef9b935158.png

I marked the backpack as nice to have since it could be replaced with a stacking mod.

Maybe as an addition to the intended gift you could let established players take a handfull of their dinos with them (dino levels included) but limiting this to a max amount of for example 3-5 dinos (of their own choice). Rule being the dino is currently owned by that player ofcourse.

I would like to ask everyone for a speedy decision since if we are intended on wiping everything, all the work people do from now to the wipe would be pointless and an absolute waste of time.

I want to start off by saying Ark is a right pain. I hate it when the maps get reset due to updates. The only time it ever happens is during the automated maintenance peroid. I would prefer we do not reset the maps, but due to some of the mods we have installed atm that isn't possible. I feel it is safer to completely restart the servers from scratch essentially to ensure no bad files are carried over, as it could be that some files are corrupted causing issues. I feel like it is only a matter of time before it happens to Extinction as it can take some time for these problems to appear. For example, Ragnarok is internally labelled as "ragn" from when we faced this issue with Ragnarok before where it was resetting nearly everyday. Starting a new server alleviated these issues for about half a year before they returned and started to happen more frequently. As this is now spreading to our other servers and seems to be happening more frequently as of late, it presents an oppurtunity. Start the servers a new, clear the mod list, clear out the server folders of any old files that are no longer needed and may be causing problems. In this situation we need to take away the positives rather than look at the negatives and to that end I believe I have a solution to minimising the lose of dinos / items and player characters.

The ark servers are currently stressing me out ontop of my University workload, and I find myself less willing to spend time on JR because of it.

I spoke to Jamie through our Management chat on Discord earlier. We do have the resources avaliable on our dedicated server to start up another Island server.

We could use this server as a bridge, allowing users to transfer dinos and other resources to it from the other servers before we reset them. This new server will not be reset and will serve as our new island server. After giving everyone one an appropriate amount of time to transfer their items (one or two weeks should be plenty), dinos and characters to this server we then reset the other maps and only use the same mods we are running on the new island server. We will run minimal mods on this server to ensure maximum stability in the long term. I am of the opinion after deciding on a core group of mods we leave it at least a month before installing more to ensure none of the mods we start with have any issues. I believe that this is the best issue to allow the long term players to lose as little as possible while still allowing us to reset the servers.

Chris,

Providing this would not cause any corruption on that new island server i would be happy with this deal,
could you have a look at the modlist i provided  and see if you agree?

I have 1 issue with this fix though which will be new players. How are we going to prevent them from starting on the "old" servers?

Bon je n'ai pas envie d'écrire en anglais, j'ai tous lu et j'ai compris que l'effacement devait être de mise. (cela m'en gêne un peu)

je suis d'accord avec snowball pour le travail qu'il a effectuer, c'est juste titanesque et d'autres sont dans son cas, mais sont absent et ne passent que de temps en temps pour éviter que leur base ne soit pillé ou que l'on leur vole leurs dinos, et ne jouent "plus" (plus d'activité de farm, n'y de tame... etc

le gros soucis a été je pense et j'en met ma main à couper "Cross aberration" the island a sauté il y a quelques mois avec tout le travail monstre de, "Frank T" a fait avec sa team et le mien (mais j'avais stopper avant) le transfère de dinos qui proviennent d'un mod qu'on supprime ensuite fait bug, freez, et crash énormément un/des serveur(s). Car le dites mod en question n'est que sur un serveur et non partager sur tous.

Ragnarok n'aillant pas été réinitialisé après la suppression du mod "Cross Aberration" a fait des crash de plus en plus fréquent car des données sont toujours sur la map (comme des œufs de rock Drake trouver récemment par moi en me promenant il y a quelques jours) voilà le gros problème et cela n'ira jamais pour les autres serveurs si vous rajouter des mod's "exclusif", je veux dire par là, que Cross Aberration était exclusif à Ragnarok et par ailleurs "Scorched Earth Anywhere" est exclusif aussi à The Island, si l'on le supprime certains dinos sur Ragnarök ou d'autres map comme extinction feront sauter le/les serveur(s) car certains "morellatops" ou autres ont été transféré.

Je sais que le mod "scortched earth anywhere" a servit surtout à remplacer la suppression du serveur (map) scortched earth (cette map ne servant qu'à aller chercher le "phénix")

Car les données "dinosaure-tame, ressource-collect, build-craft" sur un serveur comme the island avec son mod exclusif fera bug un autre serveur comme Ragnarök par exemple le mod stack va sur le mod "scortched earth anywhere" mais n'est pas d'actualité sur les ressources de Ragnarök les ressources de SC sont en stack basic.

Il faut savoir aussi que les ressources, dinosaures et les structures de mod's ont leur ID personnelles (je sais que vous le savez mais pas toutes la communauté) et donc si les dinosaures sont transféré qui appartiennent à un mod exclusif ne se pas bien delete sur le/les serveur(s) transféré il se passera ce qui s'est passé sur "the island" précédemment. (reset)

Par rapport à ce qu'a dit Chris dernièrement avec la création exclusif d'un serveur pour garder les dinos ou tout autres choses cela n'est pas envisageable.. Car l'on va garder des fichiers corrompus et qui va causé ultérieurement ENCORE des bugs et crash.

Par ailleurs c'est gentil de faire ce genre de geste ;)

Il faut pensé à des mod's utiles et qui ne sont pas lents pour un serveur (les mod's fun sont cool, mais qu'un temps) snowball a fait une belle liste et je suis d'accord à 95% avec celle-là.

following up on Marcus: Marcus is right with saying allowing transfers from a moddes server to a non(or less) modded server could cause more crashes/bugs.

Might be better for admins to spawn in a couple (not to many!) dinos like i previously recommended and start completely clean. Atleast this will guarantee that no bugs are carried over or caused by the absence of mods.

I do agree entirely with @MarcusFaren and @Snowball if we all start afresh and we have a specific drop for everybody and help get some dinos back it would be a way better experience for the future. 

@MarcusFaren + @Snowball could you mention this on the servers for people that are online to check here so they won't miss out on their say. I can't tell people as I'm at work and do not have my laptop :(

4 minutes ago, Snowball said:

@JamieMost of the players i know have checked the post if i look at whos read it. Only Jeremy  is missing but i havent sen him online in a few days. If i see any online i will tell them.

Can I ask who the players are that are your friends / family that you told me the other day? You can PM me this if you wish

My advice for the JR supplydrop would be:

Dino's:
5 Dinos currently owned by players to take with you (including current dino lvl)
5 Cryopods
1 saddle per chosen dinos

Utility:
200 cooked meat
500 narcotics
250 stimulant
50 taming sedative
20 element

Gear:
1-2 Metal Hatchet
1-2 Metal Pick
1-2 Metal sickle
1 Metal pike
1 shotgun
50 shotgun rounds
1 Crossbow
50 arrows
1 set of flak gear
1 backpack (if still used)
1 Canteen

Buildings:
16 foundations
1 dino gate
1 dino gateway
16 Ceilings
56 Walls
1 vault
1 upgrade station + attachments (if still used)

This should let ppl have a decent start without giving to much of a head start to newer players. Please review the list and let me know what you guys think. Maybe some stuff needs to be removed or added.

not realy happy with starting all over. Destroying beautifull bases :(. Me as a new player already put a lot of effort in to build. Farming took a lot of time.  I aint a pro ark player, like others. And i  aint that fast with building up. Due to learning a lot of new stuff. Personally  the only bug i have, is disappearing from my mount. Its not to bad just log out and in, is working.. I realy hope you dont destroy everything. It took me hours and days to farm where i am now.

17 minutes ago, heaven said:

not realy happy with starting all over. Destroying beautifull bases :(. Me as a new player already put a lot of effort in to build. Farming took a lot of time.  I aint a pro ark player, like others. And i  aint that fast with building up. Due to learning a lot of new stuff. Personally  the only bug i have, is disappearing from my mount. Its not to bad just log out and in, is working.. I realy hope you dont destroy everything. It took me hours and days to farm where i am now.

If we don't continue with something to fix the issues with our ARK servers we will have either:

• Bad, slow, crashing servers
  • Servers no one plays but a few people

This will cause the following:

• JR won't get enough players online
  • JR will not be able to afford to continue to operate services

We need to get more players online and currently this problem is causing new players to leave right away. With JR coming out of my pocket every month, I can not afford to keep ARK (one of JR's main servers) going in the direction it is going. 

I understand your position too, it's not something I really want to do but I want to compensate everyone in the best way possible.

@Chris @IAMSNOWMAN what do you think about @Snowball 's recommendation on the drop?

For pro players its pretty decent i assume. But i am a new player. Cryopods and an upgrading post, i cant yet use?. The only usefull stuff for a new player is basicly the pick,sickle, hatchet, pike and bow. I understand the problem. And it seems inevitably. But it does work a little demotivating for me.

I finally was busy building fun stuff.  Deleting everything will be bringing me back to the day i bought Ark and started playing the first day.

I dont have the knowledge like you pro players yet. You all will be back up in no time. But as a new player it will take me a while to get where i am at the moment.

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

@Chris @IAMSNOWMAN what do you think about @Snowball 's recommendation on the drop?

I understand both views to a certain extent however, I'm personally very hessitant with a new map as I feel it may not fix the issue. This was done before and can easily happen again. We need to be sure what the error is firstly and from what i've understood the new map idea is only a best guess.

@Snowballhas provided a fantastic idea and also @heavenmakes a very strong point too, if we do this it will be difficult and demotivating for new players as much as we say we will do our best to help get back up to speed etc it doesn't feel the same as doing it themselves and if it doesn't work it's back to square one again.

53 minutes ago, IAMSNOWMAN said:

I understand both views to a certain extent however, I'm personally very hessitant with a new map as I feel it may not fix the issue. This was done before and can easily happen again. We need to be sure what the error is firstly and from what i've understood the new map idea is only a best guess.

@Snowballhas provided a fantastic idea and also @heavenmakes a very strong point too, if we do this it will be difficult and demotivating for new players as much as we say we will do our best to help get back up to speed etc it doesn't feel the same as doing it themselves and if it doesn't work it's back to square one again.

@IAMSNOWMAN this is why we won't be just resetting the map, we will be removing all mods and putting a few mods on to begin with.

In relation to this we could have a certain drop for newer players and another drop for older players. But the max given should be a drop for the older players. We don't have many new players, and the new ones we have had have left due to the map corruptions. For the few new players that have started we could create custom drops for them to get them back to where they were, with the limitation of things given being the max drop similar to what @Snowball has stated

Reading @MarcusFaren's and @Snowball's posts they both raise certain points.

Mods do add new IDs for stuff, however if they are created properly as clean and stackable mods it wouldn't matter about moving dinos from one server that doesn't have the mod to one that does. They should revert to standard vanilla dinos. For example we could uninstall Classic Flyers right now and all your dinos would still be there, just they would no longer be classic flyer versions of the dinos they would revert to vanilla. As far as I'm aware the Aberration and Scorched Earth mods were installed on the appropriate servers and assumed to be clean and stackable, we also had to rush to install them as the last mods we were using for the engrams got pulled from the workshop randomly and stopping people from connecting to the servers.

If we do a supply drop as opposed to allowing transfers we would be able to provide downloads to the old maps so that people would be able to play them locally if they wished. We will also realease the mod list so you could carry on with these worlds on your own local game. On @IAMSNOWMAN's concerns about this just being a map reset, we should be setting up a completely new set of servers from scratch to ensure no files are carried over.

@heaven I understand what you're going through, you're new to the game and don't want to lose all that you've worked for. However you could look at this in another light, taking all that you've learned so far to improve how you play the game when you start fresh. I found that when playing ark to begin with it was handy to start over as I found better ways to do things and had an idea of what I needed to survive. As the map randomly resetting isn't going to stop overnight, we need to take drastic action to fix this as it is happening so much. I completely understand that you don't want to lose your work, no one does. As we are compensating players with 5 dinos we can make these utility dinos to help you with resource gathering.

@heaven 

if you want 5 top level essential dinos for farm:
Bronto
doedicurus
Mammoth
Ankylosaurus
Therizinosaurus

it's just a suggestion 😃

you have the dung beetle (fertilizer) and the angler fish (collect silica pearl) and thylacoleo (hide/chitin/keratin) ;) 

if you want a good farm meat, skin, meat fish. takes a baryonyx (it jumps, stun the enemy, amphibian, and heals while eating fish) it is good for the caves :) 

the "argentavis" which is redone now and much more useful for the transport of any kind of resources also 😃

I do not have the time to start over it took me weeks to get all the tek for my rag base + not including all the mutations on my dinos without the s+ mutator. If this wipe fixes all the server problems its fine for me but i won't be playing again  i dont have the time or will to start over. 

is it a possibility to keep 1 male and 1 female of my breeding pairs i spend months breeding and trying to get mutations. i dont mind losing my base but i do mind losing my mutated dinos. 

is it a possibility to first wipe lets say ragnarok and abberation - after those are wiped bring the dinos we want to keep back over to those server and after that wipe the other servers. For example on 20th of december ragnarok and abberation and gaia getting wiped. and on 22nd of december the remaining maps are getting wiped so we could transfer over the dinos we want to keep for breeding. ?

Rick

7 minutes ago, Snowball said:

Rick's idea would be in line with what chris said about creating a clean server for people to hop on to and then doing the other servers. Also sounds good to me.

This idea would also transfer any possibly corrupted dino's/items.

I'm sure we could spawn dinos in with mutators or help to get it back to that level?

@Jamie Just to inform:

Mutating dinos to perfect stats takes atleast 40 generations and requires some luck in between aswell. Gettting dinos to perfect mutations takes alot of time/effort.

I have owned a private server and by my knowledge its still impossible for an admin to spawn in an mutated dino. Giving people a S+ mutator only speeds up the proces a tiny bit but people still have to spend a lot of time before getting the perfect stats.

To all my fellow ARK players: Because any time spent on the servers from now and untill a decision has been made is futile, i will not be online in ARK much in the next couple of days untill we have some certainty. Once we are up and running again i will be back!